Question I can't find any LGA 1700 motherboards with 8 slots of RAM

Jun 24, 2022
I need to build a system with at least 256GB of RAM but unable to find any LGA 1700 motherboards with 8 slots to achieve this. DDR4 and DDR5 sticks only seem to go up to 32GB so I seem to be limited if I want the latest Intel CPU. Any ideas? I know LGA 1700 is fairly new. Anyone have any idea if any upcoming LGA 1700 motherboards will have 8 slots or memory sticks with greater than 32GB of RAM?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I need to build a system with at least 256GB of RAM but unable to find any LGA 1700 motherboards with 8 slots to achieve this. DDR4 and DDR5 sticks only seem to go up to 32GB so I seem to be limited if I want the latest Intel CPU. Any ideas? I know LGA 1700 is fairly new. Anyone have any idea if any upcoming LGA 1700 motherboards will have 8 slots or memory sticks with greater than 32GB of RAM?
These types of mainboards top out at 4 ram sockets maximum, if you want more you have to go for a HEDT platform such as Threadripper.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Older Threadripper 3000 or Epyc. Threadripper Pro 5000 series chips are going to hit the retail market soon, the boxes have been seen. (64 cores, 8 channel DDR4), You can get these already from OEMs like Lenovo and Dell.

Intel should be launching their equivalent before the end of the year. That would be Sapphire Rapids on W790, 56 core maximum, 8 channel up to 4TB of memory. DDR5.

That or you get the quite old at this point Cascade Lake on the X299 platform.

Jun 24, 2022
These types of mainboards top out at 4 ram sockets maximum, if you want more you have to go for a HEDT platform such as Threadripper.

I'd be OK getting a HEDT. I just didn't want to get into a server class since I need to run this in my living room and don't want something load. Could you recommend an HEDT that supports socket LGA 1700 with at least 256GB of ram?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I'd be OK getting a HEDT. I just didn't want to get into a server class since I need to run this in my living room and don't want something load. Could you recommend an HEDT that supports socket LGA 1700 with at least 256GB of ram?
LGA1700 doesn’t support more than 128 GB RAM and tops out at 4 sockets. You need a Threadripper platform if you want more. That would be STRX4 or WRX8 for Threadripper Pro.

Jun 24, 2022
Older Threadripper 3000 or Epyc. Threadripper Pro 5000 series chips are going to hit the retail market soon, the boxes have been seen. (64 cores, 8 channel DDR4), You can get these already from OEMs like Lenovo and Dell.

Intel should be launching their equivalent before the end of the year. That would be Sapphire Rapids on W790, 56 core maximum, 8 channel up to 4TB of memory. DDR5.

That or you get the quite old at this point Cascade Lake on the X299 platform.
I prefer to stay in the Intel CPU family so avoiding Threadrippers. You know of other boards coming with LGA 1700 sockets and 8 channel DDR?

Yes I was actually looking at the Cascade Lake with the X series. It is quit old.

kanewolf

Titan
I prefer to stay in the Intel CPU family so avoiding Threadrippers. You know of other boards coming with LGA 1700 sockets and 8 channel DDR?

Yes I was actually looking at the Cascade Lake with the X series. It is quit old.
Desktop sockets have two channel memory controllers built-into the CPU. They won't have 8 DIMM sockets because of the loading on the memory controller of 4 DIMMs per channel.
Have you looked at the Xeon W or E models ?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022

Don’t go for Intel at this point, their Cascade Lake stuff is old and inefficient, simply outdated. If you strictly want intel you have to wait for Sapphire Rapids, but will probably be next year then. If you want something now, you should really consider Threadripper.

Jun 24, 2022
Desktop sockets have two channel memory controllers built-into the CPU. They won't have 8 DIMM sockets because of the loading on the memory controller of 4 DIMMs per channel.
Have you looked at the Xeon W or E models ?
No I didn't look at the xeons since the server class are too loud to put in my living room

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No I didn't look at the xeons since the server class are too loud to put in my living room

The system can be as quiet as you want to make it if you are building it yourself. Noise scales with power requirements.

Threadripper and Epyc and Xeons and HEDT are the same thing, just different SKUs of the same product lines. Intel also makes Xeons based on consumer chips, they tend to have similar limitations though.

Here is a good example of a board:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Enterprise/Server-Motherboard/MB51-PS0-rev-10

You would just have to get a compatible cooler, chassis, and a CPU, and you can slot in your desired amount of memory.

There are none, and not likely to be one.
What is the app that you have in mind?

Intel workstations are supposedly due out by the end of the year:
No doubt that lots of ram in excess of 128gb will be available.
As to noise, that will really depend on how cpu intensive your workload is.
A workstation need not be noisy if it does not need very strong cooling.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It was mentioned before, but Sapphire Rapids is supposed to LAUNCH later this year, it might be a while before your average consumer can pick one up. OEMs are likely to get the first round and all the high capacity DDR5.

I am looking forward to it though. Haven't seen a battle between HEDT chips in a good while.