Question I can't find my bottleneck

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
3060 not using full usage
low gpu usage for no reason

I have a RTX 3060 for my gpu

i5 11400f for my cpu

16gb 2X8 3200mhz CL22 XMP enabled ram

500W PSU I do not reach the limit of the PSU at all

n50-620 motherboard

Most games at the highest settings use 99% usage but when I lower settings in any game my GPU usage goes down and I don't gain much fps. I only gain 5 fps from changing Ultra to medium in most games. How do I fix my GPU so it actually gives fps when I lower settings?

D

Deleted member 2947362

I'd argue it's a little bit of both. Like id may boast id Tech 7 can exceed 1000 FPS, but is that really important?
I don't have the knowledge to put up a valid argument that you are incorrect.

It's just sounds very .. well you know ... doesn't matter anyway and It's just my sense of humour thrown in with my reply so like I say I'm not trying to undermine you.

I guess this is one of the problems when it comes to communication in online forums (text) , not knowing the personality or being able see facial expressions and hear tone of the person, things can easily come across in the wrong vibe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not just frame limiters, there are also code limiters, schedulers etc. Everything needs to fit in its place. The cpu is doing complicated tasks, simultaneously like the Ai, physX, vector analysis, as well as all the object manipulation etc. None of that starts or ends at all the exact same time, so you'll have necessary gaps between instructions, waiting periods etc. They may be counted in nanoseconds, but those periods of inactivity count. If your cpu is at 70%, it means 30% of that entire second is the cpu cores waiting for the next instruction. But thats also an aggregate score, play CSGO on an i9 and you'll see 100% on 2 cores, but the other 6-10 cores will be considerably lower as they won't be game used only windows used. Seeing 40% on a newer i9 is perfectly normal for some games.

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
And as I said it is often the case. I am not saying you definitely have a cpu limitation but I also don’t see any evidence you don’t.

Bob.B gave good advice for rerunning userbenchmark. What we do know is the first time you ran it you had very high background cpu usage and you have relatively slow RAM. Both can impede cpu performance in games.
nothing running in the background this is the latest benchmark. If you want me to try 3Dmark ill gladly do it.

4745454b

Titan
If you have a quad core chip and the game can only use 2 cores, you'll see 50%ish usage, but you are maxed out. The bottleneck is the game engine that fails to use all available resources.

I didn't see it mentioned, but you are testing and running the games with Vsync off correct? I don't care if you play with it on, but when testing you need to make sure the monitor itself isn't the bottleneck.

Reactions: Karadjgne

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
If you have a quad core chip and the game can only use 2 cores, you'll see 50%ish usage, but you are maxed out. The bottleneck is the game engine that fails to use all available resources.

I didn't see it mentioned, but you are testing and running the games with Vsync off correct? I don't care if you play with it on, but when testing you need to make sure the monitor itself isn't the bottleneck.
This is my cpu while playing far cry 5
11400f is a 6c 12t cpu.
I tried with vsync on and off and it still happens.

3060 not using full usage
low gpu usage for no reason

I have a RTX 3060 for my gpu

i5 11400f for my cpu

16gb 2X8 3200mhz CL22 XMP enabled ram

500W PSU I do not reach the limit of the PSU at all

n50-620 motherboard

Most games at the highest settings use 99% usage but when I lower settings in any game my GPU usage goes down and I don't gain much fps. I only gain 5 fps from changing Ultra to medium in most games. How do I fix my GPU so it actually gives fps when I lower settings?

that case is a pain in the rear but it does have a fan area at the front youll need to gently pry of the front panel

youll need 92mm fan slim as its tight ( video only to show how to get into chasis and how to mount fan not how to plug it in etc.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stFeDIY-FEA

recomending combo method below instead as its just easier

following in diagram below the fan header labeled number 2 fan header remove fan gently ( do not pull fan wires).

plug in fan splitter below into number 2 fan header.

splitter below.

plug both fans into the splitter.

fan recomendation is slim as a standard wont fit.

those cl22 timings arent doing it any favours

you can get a good set of sticks 16gb x2 ddr4 3200 cl16 or cl14

will help more ram helps with games like hogwarts legacy.

also if your games are on the 1tb sata drive it came with that will hold your loading times etc up.

you can get a ssd 2tb sata which is easiest upgrade

video shows how to below and what screws youll need etc.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Wu4eLNsNQ

any questions drop me a pm

4745454b

Titan
AV software should catch it. AVG and Avira are my go to free options. If you have no AV software on your system I'd start with a swap ASAP.

I'd also do some reading online about how to protect your system. Patched windows, script disable, AV sweeps, etc. You don't need to go full paranoid and turn off services and what not. But people should take some steps to make their system safer. (Don't forget to change default passwords!)

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
Your OS drive is full and you should have games installed on a SSD.
I tried the SSD and the HDD and the storages are not the problems for my games
that case is a pain in the rear but it does have a fan area at the front youll need to gently pry of the front panel

youll need 92mm fan slim as its tight ( video only to show how to get into chasis and how to mount fan not how to plug it in etc.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stFeDIY-FEA

recomending combo method below instead as its just easier

following in diagram below the fan header labeled number 2 fan header remove fan gently ( do not pull fan wires).

plug in fan splitter below into number 2 fan header.

splitter below.

plug both fans into the splitter.

fan recomendation is slim as a standard wont fit.

those cl22 timings arent doing it any favours

you can get a good set of sticks 16gb x2 ddr4 3200 cl16 or cl14

will help more ram helps with games like hogwarts legacy.

also if your games are on the 1tb sata drive it came with that will hold your loading times etc up.

you can get a ssd 2tb sata which is easiest upgrade

video shows how to below and what screws youll need etc.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Wu4eLNsNQ

any questions drop me a pm

I'm 80% sure the ram is causing my bottleneck. I think its latency is holding back my cpu which holds back my gpu (correct me if im wrong)

I'm planning to buy new ram and fans soon.

Would this work as a substitute for the fans you recommended?

I tried the SSD and the HDD and the storages are not the problems for my games

I'm 80% sure the ram is causing my bottleneck. I think its latency is holding back my cpu which holds back my gpu (correct me if im wrong)

I'm planning to buy new ram and fans soon.

Would this work as a substitute for the fans you recommended?

yes that fan should be fine you will need the fan splitter too though cause that board only has 1 fan header for fans 2 fans running of 1 fan header wont cause any issues though

also while playing a game run hw monitor to check your temps to see if the cpu is getting hot under ultra settings or high see if the cpu is overheating or thermal throttling

Last edited:

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
You seem convinced it's your ram. I won't try to tell you it's not if you believe it is. Before you buy more ram have you made sure it's running in dual channel mode and at the correct speed/timings?
Yes its in dual channel and xmp is on but its CL22. Its from adata and they make terrible ram.