Question I can't get my new cloned SSD Drive to boot. Any suggestions?

Jan 10, 2023
I purchased a new 2TB m.2 SSD drive and cloned my existing 128GB m.2 SSD drive. When I switch out the drives, I cannot boot from the new SSD. I have gone into the bios to set the boot order, but the new drive doesn't even show up as an option.

Jan 10, 2023
Make/model of the 2 M.2 drives?

Secondly, how did you clone from the 128GB to the 2TB?
Presumably, the system has only one M.2 port?
The original Drive is a FORESEE SATAIII M.2 2280 SSD, the new drive is a TIMETEC SATA III M.2 2280 SSD. I cloned the drive using Macrium Reflect software . Yes the laptop only has one slot.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, I used an external USB enclosure
That may be an issue of the enclosure.

Thy it with an Image instead.

Since the eMMC drive appeasers to have sufficient space....

1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive (any type of drive) with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks". Create this on a small USB flash drive or DVD.
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Reactions: TH-Tech-YP
Jan 10, 2023
Or, since you don't appear to have a whole lot in the C drive, consider just a fresh OS install (and everything else) on the new 2TB.
My ultimate goal is to install Linux Mint anyway. Maybe I should just install that on the new SSD? I don't know why I didn't just start with that!

Jan 10, 2023
Well I thought that was going to be an easy solution but I was wrong. I cannot get the laptop to recognize the SSD when I swap it with the SSD it came with.

Jan 10, 2023
Shouldn't I be able to format the new SSD for Linux, take out the old windows SSD, put in the new one and install linux from a usb drive? When I boot from the usb, it can't find the new SSD drive to install on.

Jan 10, 2023
So I can take out the SSD in my new laptop and put in a brand new SSD unformatted and the system should be able to see it when I boot from a usb flash drive to install linux?

Oct 15, 2023
Your laptop only supports per the mfg. website up to 1 NVMe SSD at a max capacity of 512GB. Youre literally trying to over feed your machine 4x over its limit. Upgrade your hardware (buy a new laptop) or use a smaller NVMe SSD of 512GB or less