Question I can't get my USB wifi adapter to work properly

Aug 25, 2019
I have a Netgear WNDA3100v3. This is something an old roommate of mine deemed no longer useful to him and so he gave it to me. I thought I'd try it out - I installed the latest driver (Tried both the Standalone and the other version) and at first, with the Standalone version, it worked great, the occational ping-spike, but that's fine. A few hours later that same day, the light went from blue to Amber which is when it started acting up - It kept turning on and off, something it would continue doing until I got to the end of the day, at which point my computer wouldn't even recognise the fact that I plugged it into my computer. That said, I tried holding the button on the actual adapter, and that got the adapter to start blinking, the screen that now popped up on my PC asked me to hold a button on my router, but it was far too late for me to keep trying to mend it. Am I the idiot here? Is it the adapter itself? Is it my PC? Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
What OS are you on? You might want to see if the same issue crops up on a donor system. For my Netgear WNDA4100, I used to have the same issue if the adapter overheated. I made sure to orient the adapter in a vertical position on the back of my monitor and I haven't had an issue since.

Perhaps you're right to assume that the adapter is on it's way out. Perhaps it could be that your platform might need a BIOS update(motherboard) and that your drivers for the chipset(not the adapter) may be needed.

Aug 25, 2019
What OS are you on? You might want to see if the same issue crops up on a donor system. For my Netgear WNDA4100, I used to have the same issue if the adapter overheated. I made sure to orient the adapter in a vertical position on the back of my monitor and I haven't had an issue since.

Perhaps you're right to assume that the adapter is on it's way out. Perhaps it could be that your platform might need a BIOS update(motherboard) and that your drivers for the chipset(not the adapter) may be needed.

Windows 10
I tried it on my laptop, didn't work there either (Windows 10 on that too)
I will attempt that vertical trick - if overheating was the issue it should be ready for a new attempt now.

Could be the case, it just seems weird how it responds perfectly to one action but won't respond to another.
I'll update what I can, but I'm relying on the adapter for internet. I guess I could just download the updates on my laptop and move them with a flash drive?