Question I can't get windows to boot in Uefi because boot files are on anoter drive!

Luke76bg

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
Hello guys, because i bought a 7900xt ( it will be here this monday, i have a 7950x3D,64 gigs of ram, and an rx 590 that luckily it will be retired this monday! ) i wanted to enabled resizable bar to not lose any performance on the table with the new gpu. I discovered that i must have Uefi boot partition to be able to use Resizable bar so i decided to convert my windows drive C (ssd) to gpt using EaseUs partition master and of course it was a big mistake! Because i discovered that i have the boot files on another drive (G). Of course if i enable Uefi in bios, nothing happens and the bios boot to the bios itself, i have to enable again csm ( or called legacy ) to boot windows. I discovered this when i tried to create a disk image for windows just in case something could go wrong with the conversion , and windows backup told me that i have to backup two drives, C and G (where i have stored old movies, tv show, etc). I built this pc last october and i had all the drive from the old pc inside when i have installed windows 10. So i guess this is a standard procedure for windows to put boot files on another drive than the system drive ? However i hope it can be fixed with with diskpart like in this thread :

Screen from disk management

G is where i'm pretty sure windows boot files are (it's in italian, it's the only disc with System in the description)

View: https://imgur.com/t35Gs7Y

The tool to see if you can install Windows 11

View: https://imgur.com/cveYq5s
only windows drive is converted to gpt

Disk management with disc C selected

View: https://imgur.com/1xvgoPQ

Please help me! All the passages needed to do this!

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So i guess this is a standard procedure for windows to put boot files on another drive than the system drive ?

It is a habit of Windows to do that if multiple drives are connected during installation. If there's a next time, and if it were me, backup everything you need on a separate drive then disconnect it. Reinstall Windows with bios set to Uefi only which will then enable secure boot itself and be Win11 compatible.

Reactions: Luke76bg

Luke76bg

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
i
It is a habit of Windows to do that if multiple drives are connected during installation. If there's a next time, and if it were me, backup everything you need on a separate drive then disconnect it. Reinstall Windows with bios set to Uefi only which will then enable secure boot itself and be Win11 compatible.

Thank you, but I don't want to reinstall windows, i don't need to install windows 11, i just want to fix it with diskpart like it was possible with the other thread i linked here, but i need a little help with all the steps involved!

I mean this, from the other thread :

"It may be necessary to fix UEFI bootloader after converting OS drive from MBR to GPT.
Do it this way. Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition x

(select 99MB EFI partition, x=2 or x=3)
assign letter=K
(assign drive letter to EFI system partition, drive letter K must be unused)
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s K: /f UEFI /v"