[SOLVED] i cant install a 64 bit windows on my pc

Aug 14, 2019
my pc has an AMD phenom II x6 1035T (6cpu) 2.6 GHz
at the moment only 4 gb of ram and i cant installa 64 bit windows and i think its the processor but everywhere i look it says the processor is 64 bit compatible

Solution
If you are running any version of 32Bit windows you cannot "Upgrade" to 64Bit. You have to run a new install. If you are running 64Bit windows you cannot upgrade to 32bit either.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Another option might be that the system manufacturer (Packard Bell) may have locked the system down so that you cannot install a 64-bit OS, But definitely proceed with SkyNetRising's suggestions. There's no other reason why you shouldn't be able to install Windows 7 64-bit.

-Wolf sends

Aug 14, 2019
BTW - how did you try to install windows 7 64bit?
If you tried to run installation from within 32bit windows, then this would not work.

You have to boot from windows installation media and install windows this way.
yup, figured this is what this meant
cap1.PNG

Aug 14, 2019
Another option might be that the system manufacturer (Packard Bell) may have locked the system down so that you cannot install a 64-bit OS, But definitely proceed with SkyNetRising's suggestions. There's no other reason why you shouldn't be able to install Windows 7 64-bit.

-Wolf sends
BTW - how did you try to install windows 7 64bit?
If you tried to run installation from within 32bit windows, then this would not work.

You have to boot from windows installation media and install windows this way.
Capture.PNG
this is the error message i'd get when i'd boot the usb

You get that error, when you try to run 64bit install from within 32bit windows.

You have to reboot your pc,
go into BIOS and
put USB flash drive first at boot priority list.
Then save and reboot again to start windows installation.

And yes - you have to remove windows 32bit version from your pc before you can install 64bit version. Or you can remove existing HDD install windows on a different HDD.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
Can you post a screenshot of your drive configuration, in disk management? In windows setup, you are going to have to delete certain partitions, or maybe all, on your hard drive, recreate them, then do a fresh install. Make sure you backup anything you are going to want to keep. I just had a similar issue, at work, where a machine had 32 bit, and needed it to be 64bit.

Jan 9, 2019
If you are running any version of 32Bit windows you cannot "Upgrade" to 64Bit. You have to run a new install. If you are running 64Bit windows you cannot upgrade to 32bit either.

Solution