Question I cant install Windows XP on my new harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

celikeray61

Commendable
Jun 16, 2018
STORY:
So I have a very old dead computer sitting in the corner of my room and I decided to revive it. The computer was fine but when I try to boot up the pc It was loading up bios and after that It was giving this error "Insert bootable drive.." etc. . Then I find out that the harddrive was completely dead and needs a new hard drive. I got a new one eventually. It is Seagate Barracuda (if i typed it correct) 80 GB SATA Harddrive (the broken one was PATA). I installed it to my pc and pulled out my Windows xp pro installation disc. I chose my 80 GB harddrive and installed the first layer of the setup and computer wanted me to reboot. And here is the problem..

THE PROBLEM:

After first windows XP installation (that first, completely blue setup) the computer requires a reboot. And when i reboot it just says "Error loading operating system" or just gives a white blinking dash in the corner instead of continuing the setup.

I tried so many windows xp installation discs. Windows xp home premium, windows xp 64 bit, even windows longhorn reloaded. But nothing seems to be working.

I believe that the reason why it doesnt install the Windows xp, my harddisk is AHCI and it just requires IDE harddrive (old harddrives like my dead PATA harddrive)

Im working on this problem for 3-4 days so ANY kind of help would be appreciated.

celikeray61

Commendable
Jun 16, 2018
Some of the spesifications of my pc (if you really need it):

İntel pentium 4 650
2gb ddr2 ram
geforce g100 craphics card
msi n1996 v2.0 motherboard
a cd-dvd reader writer
250W psu

Harddrives that involved in this

IBM DeskStar 40 GB PATA Harddrive (old and broken)

Seagate Barracuda 80 GB SATA harddrive (cant install windows xp)

D

Deleted member 14196

Set the bios to legacy boot mode. You’re only going to be able to use a DVD or CD of windows I don’t believe you can install from a USB

Also do yourself a favor and get an SSD instead you’ll thank me for it later when you realize how much faster your system is with it

D

Deleted member 14196

You have to slip stream the USB drivers into it and the OP probably doesn’t know how to do that

Just as a long shot, it's been a heck of a long time ago but last time I did an install on XP 2011 or so I went round and round until I out of the blue decided to change the date back to 2004 ish. Darn thing installed just fine.

Please use the great advice already given but just an added solution. good luck

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
All good advice above.... to which I would add the following...

For fresh install of XP onto a Sata drive you will need Sata/Raid drivers (usually bundled) from MSI support site. (XP thru SP3 is pre-sata, so I don't believe any official release will install on a Sata drive without the 3rd party drivers.)

You should also D/L chipset and graphics drivers. Also Bios flash file if desired.

Your MB ID is not n1996..... the correct format for MSI MB ID will look like MS-XXXX. So you'll want to nail that down to D/L the correct drivers.

If this old machine has a 3.5 floppy diskette drive, you can put just the Sata/Raid drivers on a blank disk, hit F6 at the beginning of the setup (it goes by quick), and then insert the disk later when prompted. No other media will be accepted with the F6 method.

If you don't have one installed, or can't get your hands on a 3.5 USB drive, then you'll need to D/L nLite as suggested above. nLite is used to create a new bootable ISO to which you can add the Sata/Raid drivers. This little program will also allow you to add all drivers and make various settings choices and add the CD Key as well. At the end of the process you'll have an option of burning the ISO to a CD, or just saving it to a HDD.

To install from a USB flash drive instead, I have used Rufus and Yumi in the past to put the nLite ISO onto a bootable flash drive.

Make sure your bios is set to boot from USB. On some machines, it's not uncommon for the boot to fail the first time. If it does fail to boot to the USB, just get back into the Bios and you might find "scandisk" or something like that listed, but not at the top of the boot order..... just change it.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Reactions: mkaafy

celikeray61

Commendable
Jun 16, 2018
Have you tried installing it from a usb? (Iso to usb) That's how i installed windows xp a few months back on a sata drive.

I have no usb.

Set the bios to legacy boot mode. You’re only going to be able to use a DVD or CD of windows I don’t believe you can install from a USB

Also do yourself a favor and get an SSD instead you’ll thank me for it later when you realize how much faster your system is with it

I bought second handed harddisk so.. No money wasted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite?amp=1

This is what you need to do to get it working most likely and install it on a sata drive

Perhaps that tool does this for you

I tried that and I ended up wasting a cd. I corrupted the files.

Also OP if you need a iso use this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zpdnx1pHKcZJcWnNbOgFuyAWAl929B81/view?usp=sharing it's the same i used for my install.

The link is corrupted.

All good advice above.... to which I would add the following...

For fresh install of XP onto a Sata drive you will need Sata/Raid drivers (usually bundled) from MSI support site. (XP thru SP3 is pre-sata, so I don't believe any official release will install on a Sata drive without the 3rd party drivers.)

You should also D/L chipset and graphics drivers. Also Bios flash file if desired.

Your MB ID is not n1996..... the correct format for MSI MB ID will look like MS-XXXX. So you'll want to nail that down to D/L the correct drivers.

If this old machine has a 3.5 floppy diskette drive, you can put just the Sata/Raid drivers on a blank disk, hit F6 at the beginning of the setup (it goes by quick), and then insert the disk later when prompted. No other media will be accepted with the F6 method.

If you don't have one installed, or can't get your hands on a 3.5 USB drive, then you'll need to D/L nLite as suggested above. nLite is used to create a new bootable ISO to which you can add the Sata/Raid drivers. This little program will also allow you to add all drivers and make various settings choices and add the CD Key as well. At the end of the process you'll have an option of burning the ISO to a CD, or just saving it to a HDD.

To install from a USB flash drive instead, I have used Rufus and Yumi in the past to put the nLite ISO onto a bootable flash drive.

Make sure your bios is set to boot from USB. On some machines, it's not uncommon for the boot to fail the first time. If it does fail to boot to the USB, just get back into the Bios and you might find "scandisk" or something like that listed, but not at the top of the boot order..... just change it.

Good Luck

Yeah, I might entered my mb model wrong. I just tried to write what i could remember.

I got the sata/raid drivers and tried it to merge with the disk using nLite. But like I stated before I just ended up corrupting the setup files.

Also I have a floppy drive... but my power supply does not have a power cable to power that.. Also I dont think i can find an empty floppy disk in a time like this.

Thank you all for your replies and advices but none of these helped me out. I will try to install drivers to win xp with usb. And If that does not work I will probably get a pata (IDE) harddisk. I will share the results with you soon.

Since the first layer of installation went through without problem,you don't need to use any drivers the installation already saw your drive and copied the files.
For the same reason you don't need to do an installation from usb,you already have the files on the disk.

You should check your bios settings,do a load defaults try if it loads and then change any boot settings you can starting with the boot order, making sure that the bios checks the sata disks for boot drives.

The blinking light means that the bios can't find the disk specified as the bootdrive.
"Error loading operating system" usually means that a file is not available which can happen if the disk is too big for the bios or if the partitions are not as expected,you did delete everything from the drive and made only one single partition right?

celikeray61

Commendable
Jun 16, 2018
Since the first layer of installation went through without problem,you don't need to use any drivers the installation already saw your drive and copied the files.
For the same reason you don't need to do an installation from usb,you already have the files on the disk.

You should check your bios settings,do a load defaults try if it loads and then change any boot settings you can starting with the boot order, making sure that the bios checks the sata disks for boot drives.

The blinking light means that the bios can't find the disk specified as the bootdrive.
"Error loading operating system" usually means that a file is not available which can happen if the disk is too big for the bios or if the partitions are not as expected,you did delete everything from the drive and made only one single partition right?

I did everything you stated above. Tried with default settings, tried to boot directly from harddisk but nothing worked.

celikeray61

Commendable
Jun 16, 2018
Well.. I really dont know what to say anymore.. I bought an IDE harddisk and it still gives the same error for some reason. Windows xp still refuses to install.

RealSmoke

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
it still gives the same error for some reason. Windows xp still refuses to install.
Well since everything didn't work i suggest buying a 8gb usb (4gb could be enough for xp) and trying to install it that way. And if it still doesn't work try maybe replacing cmos battery though not sure if that will work.

if the motherbord does not support AHCI mode then no SSD drive will work in it

unlike a mechanical drive SSD drives need AHCI support for them to even be detected

Status
Not open for further replies.