[SOLVED] I can't install Windows XP on my old pc

Mar 14, 2019
I have an old pc. It had WinXP 32bit installed and it was working. I wanted to do a clean format. I tried bootable usb's and cd's with many xp 32bit iso files. Only "Fundamentals for Legacy PC's" iso worked so far, but I want the regular XP. When I try to install, it says "setup is monitoring hard disk" (or something like that) at the blue setup page. Then I get blank screen. I tried in VGA mode but still the same. Please guys/girls I need help.

CPU : Intel Pentium 4 524
RAM : 1GB DDR2 400mhz
Mobo : Intel Corporation D945PLRN
GPU : 512MB Asus Radeon x1600
HDD : 250 GB Samsung SP2504C (Sata)
Bios Version : SN94510J.86A.0050.2005.0916.1734

and here are some settings of my bios
View: https://imgur.com/a/M74OcnR

Last edited:
Solution
I solved the problem with a new bootable Windows XP CD. I still can't install via usb stick, but I think it's all about the pc being old. It seems my previous Windows CD's were faulty.

ImWolf

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
To install XP on your Sata drive you'll need to have the correct Sata drivers (per your MB manufacturer) on hand, or you'll need a "slipstream" disk you created from an original install disk with the Sata drivers integrated on it.

If you do not have a "slipstream" disk, then you will also need a foppy disk drive to supply the drivers as prompted.

In the beginning of the setup process, be ready to hit the F6 key when you see the option. (it goes by quick). Then later, you will be prompted to supply the needed drivers.

Without Sata drivers, the XP install will never recognize your HDD.

Mar 14, 2019
I solved the problem with a new bootable Windows XP CD. I still can't install via usb stick, but I think it's all about the pc being old. It seems my previous Windows CD's were faulty.

Solution

ImWolf

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
It may be possible to set sata controller to IDE mode in BIOS.
Then sata drivers would not be required. Trade-off is slightly lowered drive performance.
I have never seen this option in my old BIOS, I'll have to look again next time I'm in there.

After all the articles I read b4 installing XP onto a Sata drive, none of them mentioned this. If it's this simple of a fix, sure would have saved many ppl a lot of grief! :b