Question I can't port forward ports don't open

Feb 27, 2020
Hello I have problems when trying to port forward. When i set up it and when i try to access it thru my public ip it won't work. But when I check my router the ip says 100.*.162. and it's different from my public ip and I can only access the port thru that ip. And when I check it thru a port checker it says that it's closed. Any help?

What IP ?

The 100.x.x.x is just a special form of private like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. Private IP are only used on internal networks.

The public IP is shared with other people so you would have to put port forward rules in the ISP router which of course they will not allow

Feb 27, 2020
What IP ?

The 100.x.x.x is just a special form of private like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. Private IP are only used on internal networks.

The public IP is shared with other people so you would have to put port forward rules in the ISP router which of course they will not allow
Oh okay but whatever I do port won't open on the public ip I portforwared the port 80 with tcp and udp entered the ipv4 of my pc and it still won't work. I also turned off the firewall!

It will never work because you are doing the port forwarding in YOUR router in needs to be done in the ISP router. Since you do not have admin ability and do not even know where it is you can do nothing.

Your only option is to contact the ISP and see if they can assign your router a actual public IP. Some offer this for a extra charge and some do not offer it for any price.

Feb 27, 2020
Completly forgot about this thread tried to get ahold of the ISP but it did not work in my favour they couldn't help me at all. As I said in my question still can't portforward using my public ip 77.77.2.1 is it 100% that it is that problem and not some other problem?

Feb 27, 2020
Yes I said that port forwarding didn't work on my public ip 77.7x.219.1xx but would connect with my private ip 100..x.x.x i'm sorry if I confused you.

Feb 27, 2020
I'm sorry I don't understand your question. I just said that port forwarding a port like etc. 25565 and connecting wiht my public ip won't work at all. I was messing around and in my status of router found that 100.x.x.x ip and just randomly checked and it would connect with that ip. I understood that it was a private ip and wouldn't work out of my network. Is there any way you can help me troubleshoot this can we get in contact?

I don't know how I can be more clear.

The only IP that matters is the one being assigned to your router by the ISP.

This is the 100.x.x.x IP. You are being assigned a private IP. You do not have a public IP.

The IP you see that you think is your public IP is not actually YOURS. It is shared by many users.

For port forwarding to work the IP you see in the status screen on your router MUST have the public IP. If this IP is not public like yours it is impossible for you to do anything other than call the ISP and get them to assign you a public ip.

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
Let's make it clear.

for example you are trying to port forward the port 80 of the local IP 192.168.1.1 to provide the internet access(outside of your local server)
but in the modem it tells you that it forwarded the 192.168.x.x to something like 100.x.x.x?

if yes...
the problem is not from your side. there's actually a second server in your ISP that chooses an external IP for you. and you don't have your own IP to forward the ports to it.
(this technique is mostly used in mobile networks/modems to allow more IPs to work and release quickly)

Simply contact your ISP and explain to them
Good Luck

Feb 27, 2020
No it doesn't say anything about on what ip it port forwared to I was just troubleshooting and realized if I connect thru with the private ip it worked but whith public ip it didn't.

I was port forwarding completly normally like a year two ago since than I changed my pc's maybe that is a problem? My router is a home gateway it's like a router and modem in one.