Question I can't see my SSD from a USB booted Ubuntu

penyothepredator

Reputable
Aug 27, 2017
So recently my computer's been acting up. Windows takes ages to load, programs take ages to load, anything windows related is just slow.
And today it just refuses to boot at all. It keeps sending me back to the UEFI Shell. FYI I'm using an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-5156. I can't really do much in the UEFI thing. I can select windows boot manager but it just goes into a black screen which after a while sends me back to the UEFI Shell.
So, I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10, but there is still some files I really need from the internal SSD where the Windows is installed. That's why I got a USB with Ubuntu on it to try and copy those files. Unfortunately, I guess it is not being detected. I can see the stuff on my HDD, but no sign of the SSD.

So, what I am asking is why can I not see it? Could it be dead? I really have no clue. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

penyothepredator

Reputable
Aug 27, 2017
I got into the BIOS and it showed the SSD. When I go into disks on the Ubuntu it doesn't show up, though. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to open the laptop to see if if there's anything obviously wrong.

penyothepredator

Reputable
Aug 27, 2017
So I tried putting the SSD into the other slot and the BIOS seemed to recognize that it I had moved it. Still didn't want to boot Windows. I will try to put it in another laptop to see if that one will finally detect the SSD and hopefully extract whatever I need before I try to do a fresh install of Windows.