Question I can't seem to download Adobe Acrobat Reader (AAR)

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
I have been trying to download AAR without success. Seems that portions of the app are not being placed within my registry.
Also, when I attempt the download, the AAR icon shows up on my desktop with a blue and yellow shield.

The blue and yellow shield has something to do with the UAC permissions, but not sure what to do about that.

When I try to open the app, nothing happens; when I try to open an individual pdf file, it does not.

I have reached out to Adobe but they will not provide any help since I am just trying to run their "free" app.
(why then offer an app if you are not going to provide any support- not good marketing Adobe)

I would appreciate any help in fixing my issue. Thank you in advance.

Also, when I attempt the download, the AAR icon shows up on my desktop with a blue and yellow shield.
The blue and yellow shield has something to do with the UAC permissions, but not sure what to do about that.
To install software you need administrative privileges.
With limited user you won't be able to install.

Installer should appear in Downloads folder (not on desktop).
reader[xxx]_install.exe"

Screenshot would help understanding the issue.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Funny when I now double click the Icon I can open the app. Where before I could not. Yes, the check box "administrator" in unchecked.
I can open pdfs on my desktop and elsewhere.
But still do not know why I got the blue/yellow shield over the icon still.

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Also, years back I used AAR and downloaded it from Adobe website with no such issues. I have not changed any of my systems parameters either. Why did it work just fine then and not now? Who knows!

Last edited by a moderator:

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Now my next issue is to try to find attached pdfs associated with my QuickBooks entries that show within the QB app as being there but I can't open them. What a pain!

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
So an update to all. I deleted any essence of Adobe Acrobat Reader from my system. Yet the pdfs still had the Adobe icon related to pdfs. I did the deletion a couple of days ago. When I turned my system on yesterday morning all the Adobe icons were changed to the Chrome icon. Don't know why, perhaps without a specific pdf app my system converts to a default app, in this case, Chrome, which is my default browser.
I reached out to Acronis, which is my antivirus/antimalware/backup software app to see if there was any issue with Acronis and Adobe. They said no and I tended to agree with them as there was no indication Acronis app found any issues with Adobe when I tried to download the app. Acronis support was proactive enough to set up a phone call support session and screen share session to see what I was doing when downloading Adobe and if they could find any issues. (Kudos to Acronis!!) I had the help session and all we did is have me attempt to do the Adobe download just like I attempted multiple times before without success. THIS TIME THE DOWNLOAD WAS SUCCESSFUL! I knew something was different about this download attempt as it took longer than any of the other attempts I tried. The Acronis support agent did not do anything other than watch me perform the Adobe download. So no system adjustments were made to say something else prevented the multiple previous attempts to download Adobe.
I can not explain the problem but obviously, it was an issue of previous failed complete downloading of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Why who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Thought I would share this with everyone who tried to help. But it does not solve the issue of why.

P.S. Now I am also able to open pdf attachments associated with my QuickBooks entries! 🤣