ajaz1986

Commendable
Oct 30, 2018
I bought 4x Western Digital Elements Desktop 16TB Hub Drives ( WDBWLG0160HBK-EESN ) I removed the HDDs from the hub and I've added them to my 4x HP Blade Servers (1 drive in each server). I went into the boot setup (F10 - Intelligent Provisioning) and configured them as a RAID 0. I then booted into my Linux Desktop 20.04.3 LTS environment and proceeded to the Disk Utility app to add the drive. I can see the 16TB drives are there but I can't do anything with them.

It shows 16TB drive for each of them, with 16TB free unallocated space but when I try to add a partition, I get the following error:
Error creating partition on /dev/sdk: Failed to read partition table on device '/dev/sdk' (Invalid argument during seek for read on /dev/sdk) (udisks-error-quark, 0)

Any ideas why this might be happening?
It's definitely not a faulty drive as I've got 4 of them and all 4 are displaying the same error.

Last edited:

ajaz1986

Commendable
Oct 30, 2018
Did you finish the RAID 0 configuration?

That should show as a single 64TB volume.

But I gotta ask.,...what will this be used for?

Sorry I forgot to say, I've spread them across 4 different blade servers, so only 1 in each server. They show up as full 16TB drives in each server and the RAID 0 did complete with no errors.

I want to put some Chia plots on them, I got the drives at a decent price and since I've already got the servers, there's no other cost but the drives.

ajaz1986

Commendable
Oct 30, 2018
RAID 0 spread across multiple blades?
Well, thats out of my wheelhouse.

Sorry.
No, they were RAIDED individually. So I went into blade 1 config, did RAID 0 on the 16TB drive... then rebooted that blade and proceeded to blade 2 and repeated all the way through to blade 4.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Ooh that's where I've gone wrong then.. it makes sense that it shouldn't be possible but the option was there so I assumed it was fine since it completed with no errors lol!
And you can't do a RAID 0 across multiple servers.
How would they be connected?

Absolutely not going to work, no matter what magic dust you sprinkle on it.

ajaz1986

Commendable
Oct 30, 2018
And you can't do a RAID 0 across multiple servers.
How would they be connected?

Absolutely not going to work, no matter what magic dust you sprinkle on it.
No, I wasn't trying to RAID across multiple servers... each server has it's own pool of drives. They've all got 14TB drives in them which are all full... so I got 4x 16TB drives and decided to put 1 in each server but had to configure a new array with RAID 0 for each of them.

Tomorrow, I'll remove them and install all 4 into a single server and then RAID 0 all 4 drives together. That should solve the issue. Thanks for the fast response :)

popatim

Titan
On older Raid controllers, as single drive would typically be set as a raid1 (mirrored) and typically not have the mirror drive installed. Most newer raid controllers have a single driveor pass-thru option to leave the drive out of a raid array.

Reactions: maikutech

ajaz1986

Commendable
Oct 30, 2018
On older Raid controllers, as single drive would typically be set as a raid1 (mirrored) and typically not have the mirror drive installed. Most newer raid controllers have a single driveor pass-thru option to leave the drive out of a raid array.
Interesting you say this, I installed a single 10Tb drive few months back and that worked fine - I just can’t remember how I configured the array options. I’ll log into the servers tomorrow and check it out. For now, I’ve put 2x16TB drives in one server and 2 in another…. Will login tonight and go through the configs

ASK THE COMMUNITY