[SOLVED] I can't stop my Ryzen 3600 from boosting itself

Apr 22, 2020
I recently built my first PC and everything has been going great. I was playing AC Odyssey, League of Legends and COD: Warzone with my CPU never breaking over 56 degrees.

For some reason when I booted today, everytime I open up League of Legends, as in just click the icon it boosts my CPU to 4.2Mhz.

I have the boost overclock off in the BIOS and it wasn't doing this before. Now AC: Odyssey is getting to temps closer to 70 and League sits around 75.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I know the temps are liveable I just want to stop my CPU from overclocking itself, at the moment I was happy with the performance I was getting before.

If it helps, this is my build:

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600
MSI 2060 Super

I also did away with the stock cooler and i'm running the coolermaster 212 Black edition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Solution
My issue isn't in the program i'm using. It's working well enough and matching with Task Manager to let me know, that whenever I open the League or Assassins Creed my CPU starts running at 4200 instead of 3600.

I know those temps are acceptable. Again, that isn't the issue here. The issue is the frequency of the CPU and the fact that those 2 programs are switching my power plan from balanced to high performance, which I don't want. I'm happy with less performance at 3.6 and lower temps.

I don't want to turn the fans up any more to keep temps down.

And again, the reason this is an issue, is for the last 2 days, this wasn't happening. Everything was running at 3.6 with low temps, which is what i'm after.
My issue isn't in...
Apr 22, 2020
These cpu dose run hot and to be honest there nothing wrong with having temp of 75 while under full load maybe over 85 start worrying but anything under its normal temps!

Hi, thanks for replying. Like I said, i'm not worried about the temps. It's more why my CPU is overclocking in the first place. I have (as fair as i'm aware) set everything to turn off auto overclocking in the BIOS. It wasn't doing it yesterday but today for some reason it is.

Hi, thanks for replying. Like I said, i'm not worried about the temps. It's more why my CPU is overclocking in the first place. I have (as fair as i'm aware) set everything to turn off auto overclocking in the BIOS. It wasn't doing it yesterday but today for some reason it is.

Have you tried going into power plan and switching to balance because maybe its on high performance and is boosting up your cpu

Apr 22, 2020
Have you tried going into power plan and switching to balance because maybe its on high performance and is boosting up your cpu

I'm currently on the Ryzen Balanced plan, but everytime I open the game it put it onto the high eprformace plan. I removed the high performance plan to see what would happen and now it stays ont he Ryzen Balanced plan but it's still doing the same thing.

It sounds to me like it is doing what it's supposed to do, it's not 'overclocking' just boosting as designed. Ryzen boosts to it's rated boost clocks only for light bursty loads. The clocks will be lower with a heavier load as the temperature rises.

I wonder if the game you play is what takes it off the Ryzen Balanced plan and moves to the High Performance plan? That's pretty bad game behavior if it is, they should not change system settings on you without asking.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 22, 2020
It sounds to me like it is doing what it's supposed to do, it's not 'overclocking' just boosting as designed. Ryzen boosts to it's rated boost clocks only for light bursty loads. The clocks will be lower with a heavier load as the temperature rises.

I wonder if the game you play is what takes it off the Ryzen Balanced plan and moves to the High Performance plan? That's pretty bad game behavior if it is, they should not change system settings on you without asking.

Well whats confusing me, is I was getting solid temps of 54ish playing League and Assassins creed. Now i'm lucky if I can keep it below 70. Core Temps is telling me that my CPU is going to 4.2 every time I launch these games, is there anyway of stopping that?

Well whats confusing me, is I was getting solid temps of 54ish playing League and Assassins creed. Now i'm lucky if I can keep it below 70. Core Temps is telling me that my CPU is going to 4.2 every time I launch these games, is there anyway of stopping that?
You don't want it to stop it! that's what the processor is supposed to do.

What are you using to read out temperature? It has to be an 'average' temperature and not 'instantaneous'. The instantaneous reading can have spikes as individual cores boost, they have very low energy and are not a true indicator of the processor's thermal state. Ryzenmaster reads out average temperature, as does HWInfo if you look at the TDie average reading.

Under a really and truely heavy workload it's not uncommon to see average temps in the 70's, even 80's if really heavy. But the first thing to do, if you haven't already, is to double and triple check that your new heatsink is flat and firmly mounted to the CPU spreader.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 22, 2020
What are you using to read out temperature? It has to be an 'average' temperature and not 'instantaneous'. The instantaneous reading can have spikes as individual cores boost, they have very low energy and not a true indicator of the processor's thermal state.

Under a really and truely heavy workload it's not uncommon to see average temps in the 70's, even 80's if really heavy. But the first thing to do, if you haven't already, is to double and triple check that your new heatsink is flat and firmly mounted to the CPU spreader.

Ok, so i've just run a few tests.

I have Core Temp open whilst checking all of this. Once again the temps aren't the issue. The issue is the the frequency.

Whilst idling: 36 degrees 3600Mhz
If I open Cod Warzone: 45 degrees 3600Mhz
If I open Conan Exiles: 44 degrees 3600Mhz
If I open League of Legends: 70+ degrees and its jumps to 4200Mhz
If I open Assassins Creed Odyssey: 70+ degrees and it jumps to 4200Mhz

Now, i've tried to have my power plan on balanced. When I opened COD and Conan, it stayed on balanced. When I open AC and League it jumps to "Ulitmate Performance" and then my Core frequency jumps up too. I imagine that's where my problem is, why these programs are taking me off balanced and putting me on a different power plan, which i'm guessing is causing the raise in CPU Frequency.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, so i've just run a few tests.

I have Core Temp open whilst checking all of this. Once again the temps aren't the issue. The issue is the the frequency.

Whilst idling: 36 degrees 3600Mhz
If I open Cod Warzone: 45 degrees 3600Mhz
If I open Conan Exiles: 44 degrees 3600Mhz
If I open League of Legends: 70+ degrees and its jumps to 4200Mhz
If I open Assassins Creed Odyssey: 70+ degrees and it jumps to 4200Mhz

Now, i've tried to have my power plan on balanced. When I opened COD and Conan, it stayed on balanced. When I open AC and League it jumps to "Ulitmate Performance" and then my Core frequency jumps up too. I imagine that's where my problem is, why these programs are taking me off balanced and putting me on a different power plan, which i'm guessing is causing the raise in CPU Frequency.

Anyone have any ideas?
I would not use coretemp. Get HWInfo64. It's been consistently shown the only accurate and dependable utility for reading Ryzen telemetry reports and motherboard sensors.

RyzenMaster is OK, so long as you understand what it's doing. But it's laggy in use and really a tool for 'extreme' overclockers to use when testing out overclocks on LN2 and get around the 'sub-zero' bug.

I don't understand why boosting as advertised is an issue.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Some games can better utilize more cores, depending on which GPU is installed and your resolution....

If some games allow the processor to stretch it's clock speed 'core legs'....I'd say 'let them live'!

As other's have pointed out, temps of 70-75 are not uncommon when fully loading the latest Ryzens..

The Hyper212 was not really considered a 'go to' with a 7700K, being considered marginal at keeping them cool. I'm surprised your temps are as low as they are at load, frankly...

See what temps/clock speeds you see on assorted cores after 10-15 minutes of CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU (be sure to stop it when done!) This testing load is not as stressful as Prime95, but, it is a tad more stressful than most games would ever be, based on my own OC'd 7700K's behavior...

Apr 22, 2020
Some games can better utilize more cores, depending on which GPU is installed and your resolution....

If some games allow the processor to stretch it's clock speed 'core legs'....I'd say 'let them live'!

As other's have pointed out, temps of 70-75 are not uncommon when fully loading the latest Ryzens..

The Hyper212 was not really considered a 'go to' with a 7700K, being considered marginal at keeping them cool. I'm surprised your temps are as low as they are at load, frankly...

See what temps/clock speeds you see on assorted cores after 10-15 minutes of CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU (be sure to stop it when done!) This testing load is not as stressful as Prime95, but, it is a tad more stressful than most games would ever be, based on my own OC'd 7700K's behavior...

My issue isn't in the program i'm using. It's working well enough and matching with Task Manager to let me know, that whenever I open the League or Assassins Creed my CPU starts running at 4200 instead of 3600.

I know those temps are acceptable. Again, that isn't the issue here. The issue is the frequency of the CPU and the fact that those 2 programs are switching my power plan from balanced to high performance, which I don't want. I'm happy with less performance at 3.6 and lower temps.

And again, the reason this is an issue, is for the last 2 days, this wasn't happening. Everything was running at 3.6 with low temps, which is what i'm after.

Apr 22, 2020
I would not use coretemp. Get HWInfo64. It's been consistently shown the only accurate and dependable utility for reading Ryzen telemetry reports and motherboard sensors.

RyzenMaster is OK, so long as you understand what it's doing. But it's laggy in use and really a tool for 'extreme' overclockers to use when testing out overclocks on LN2 and get around the 'sub-zero' bug.

I don't understand why boosting as advertised is an issue.

I can't say why those programs do that. It does not seem correct to me, but then game developers have been known to do worse in equally misguided attempts to keep people from complaining about game performance.

Beyond displaying core utilization, Task Manager's not a good utility for monitoring processor hardware performance either, BTW.

If you want to gimp performance, in the PBO settings menu you will find there are a number of handles you could use to throttle performance. One is called EcoMode, but I've never looked for it in mine much less used it. You can also put a limit on maximum allowed processor temperature, which should keep it from boosting high enough to trip that level, and maximum package power. You might try experimenting with one of those to reduce performance and keep it from boosting clocks as you like.

And the brute force method is simple: lock multiplier at 3600Mhz. So long as you keep VCore on AUTO it can reduce it as needed to keep it safe since it's already stuck on base frequency.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution