I can't tell if my GPU or CPU is throttling. But I'm having significant performance issues.

hazyman100

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
i7 6700k GTX 1060 6gb 650W 16GB RAm 3000mhz

Recently while playing Overwatch my FPS has been dropping significantly. When I first upgraded my PC I was getting 250-300 frames on low settings consistently with few dips to 230. Now it's 200-230 consistently and it sometimes even dips to 140. It's constantly dipping during huge particle fights. I honestly have no clue what's going on. I've checked temperatures and my CPU temps while playing the game range from 65-70 celsius. And my GPU also lies around 70 degrees. All of which from what I researched are good temperatures to keep them at. So I don't know what's causing these fps dips. Sometimes I restart my PC and the fps seems to be stable 200-250. And then other times its just god awful. I'm playing on all low settings so I think my rig should be able to hold its own while playing overwatch. What do I need to check and what do i need to do cause i'm clueless. I should also add that I upgraded to a 24 inch monitor (from a 21 inch) with 144hz. But I doubt that alone would make my rig dip overwatch fps to 140-160 during random moments (not even huge fights sometimes). Any help is appreciated thanks.

Solution
I would just update your graphics drivers if I were you just to be safe. A 6700k will not bottleneck a 1060, as someone above said, so it would be a problem with your graphics card. Also, your hard drive usually doesn't limit FPS, just loading textures and the sort. I experienced this in GTA a good deal as the roads would suddenly stop loading very quickly whenever I was downloading something on steam, so it shouldn't be a problem there. Also, your frames are going to dip below 300, thats optimal performance, but during big teamfights when all the particles are flying and all you are going to experience dips.
Are you experiencing this on every map? Some maps are more demanding than others. So are some characters ability effects. A lot of people complained their fps dropped after the Sombra patch. You can also try rolling back your Nvidia drivers to see if a driver update caused the problem. You might also try turning up a few settings in case the GPU is shifting too much load to the CPU, as Overwatch is already a CPU heavy game.

hazyman100

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

I don't think it's a map problem. It's an overall decrease no matter what map I join. The FPS dips randomly and slightly freezes the frames at times.

hazyman100

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

I used gpuz and my GPU consistently stayed at 70 degrees celsius.

sorry i should have explained myself clearer i meant use gpuz or msi afterburner to see if the gpu frequency/speed was dropping due to throttling

70c doesnt sound overly hot but must admit i dont know at what temperature a gtx1060 thermal throttles

hazyman100

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

I mean they're performance issues that shouldn't be happening. When I consistently play at 250 and it dips down to 150 that's a huge performance issue in an fps game. It almost feels like the frames freeze. So...... I want to find out the reason as to why this is happening.

hazyman100

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016

So I restarted my PC about 4 times. And on the fourth time my FPS just shot straight up to 300 fps while playing overwatch. Consistently stayed at 300 fps too during a quick play (just your normal game). The only difference between start ups is in the first few I would instantly boot up overwatch and test the fps. This time I waited for at least 5 to 10 minutes for literally everything to load before I booted up Overwatch. Sounds really weird I know but idk if it has a factor. I'm still worried though because it's inconsistent. Sometimes when I boot up the performance has issues. And other times my rig is doing work. So I really don't know what's causing these issues. Is it possible that my hard drive is just bad? I will admit it is 3 years old now.

barky502

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I would just update your graphics drivers if I were you just to be safe. A 6700k will not bottleneck a 1060, as someone above said, so it would be a problem with your graphics card. Also, your hard drive usually doesn't limit FPS, just loading textures and the sort. I experienced this in GTA a good deal as the roads would suddenly stop loading very quickly whenever I was downloading something on steam, so it shouldn't be a problem there. Also, your frames are going to dip below 300, thats optimal performance, but during big teamfights when all the particles are flying and all you are going to experience dips.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS