Question I can't tell whether CPU or mobo is broken

Feb 1, 2022
Hi! I currently have a problem with a pc i just got from work, its 3 years old and hasnt been used for about 2 of those 3 years.

I tried to boot it up but it would do a thing where the cpu fan would start, but would slowly die after 3 seconds, and would start again only to do the same thing continuously like a loop. No display no nothing. I found a thread with a similar problem, but the solutions didnt work for me (the breadboarding and resetting the cmos thingy, i replaced the battery too) so i got a new PSU, but it was still the same. also got new ram, still the same.

At this point i think its either the CPU or the mobo. I can't really afford to buy both but im scared im buying a replacement for a completely fine component and end up having to buy something else.

Feb 1, 2022
Its a shoddy pc, a workplace desktop made by some shady supplier :>

Asus H81M-D
i7-4790
I don't know what the case is, but im pretty sure its a sheet of steel that resembles a pc case :>
I tried about 3 working sticks of ram, still the same problem.

Only thing to try at this point is if you happen to have a known, working LGA 1150 motherboard lying around you should test the CPU in that motherboard. Conversely, you can use a known, working CPU in the salvaged motherboard and see if things boot.

Worse case scenario, if you don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money for a "new" motherboard or CPU is to see if a local computer shop can test the motherboard and CPU (for a fee of course).

Feb 1, 2022
Only thing to try at this point is if you happen to have a known, working LGA 1150 motherboard lying around you should test the CPU in that motherboard. Conversely, you can use a known, working CPU in the salvaged motherboard and see if things boot.

Worse case scenario, if you don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money for a "new" motherboard or CPU is to see if a local computer shop can test the motherboard and CPU (for a fee of course).
I don't have any other components that are compatible unfortunately, so I'll go with the local computer shop. Thanks!

Nov 10, 2021
I also kinda have the same problem. My pc won't boot give no beep codes and would sometime reboot in the second powering on. Already tried swapping and reseating the ram but nothing.
Mobo: Gigabyte H81m-s1
CPU: i7 4790
Psu: Seasonic 550w (brand new)

I really don't think it's the cpu because I have once catch it throttling and then shut down (the problem was the coller) so being it dead because of the heat is out of question.

Waiting for a response in this thread because my problem might also be in the motherboard.