[SOLVED] I can't turn of my computer. I can't update. I can't reset.

highsis

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I'm using Windows 10 x64. i7-8700k, 2070 super, 32gb ddr4 ram.

When I shut down my pc it end normally but the hardware PC keeps running although the windows shut down already. I am unable to update the OS due to an error. I tried resetting today but it showed "desktop not available" error.

I did virus and spyware checks. My computer works perfectly fine other than these problems. It all started when I bought 2070 super a month ago.

I can't seem to do anything. Help please?

Solution
When I shut down my pc it end normally but the hardware PC keeps running although the windows shut down already.

this can be caused by power settings in the bios not matching those in windows. resetting bios to defaults may fix it. Updating bios may also help.

I am unable to update the OS due to an error.

what error are you getting?

I tried resetting today but it showed "desktop not available" error.

can't say I seen that error before.

one fix suggested is
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second...

Colif

Win 11 Master
When I shut down my pc it end normally but the hardware PC keeps running although the windows shut down already.

this can be caused by power settings in the bios not matching those in windows. resetting bios to defaults may fix it. Updating bios may also help.

I am unable to update the OS due to an error.

what error are you getting?

I tried resetting today but it showed "desktop not available" error.

can't say I seen that error before.

one fix suggested is
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

could try everything here except last 2 (unless you don't mind losing info) - https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/system32-config-systemprofile-desktop-unavailable.html
if you do anything in registry, back it up first - https://neosmart.net/wiki/backup-restore-registry/

Solution