[SOLVED] I cant tYpe lowercase Y. (This is software)

Dec 30, 2019
for some reason I cant tYpe lowercase Y anYmore, I can do ctrl+Y and when I did an online keYboard tester it said it detected that I pressed the Y keY, and when I used another keYboard the Y keY didn't work either, I am so confused, anY help would be great.

Solution
Its a driver to blame but I don't know of a way to work out which one.

You might need to do a reset, that forces windows to get all new drivers. If it continues after a reset... um. we worry about it then. we know it works without drivers so it might be only way.

Colif

Win 11 Master
hope your password doesn't include a Y then

Could try a clean boot and see if its maybe a startup program
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

otherwise

Have you tried it in safe mode??
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

it should work in safe mode if its not windows causing it,

run AV/Malware scan?

Dec 30, 2019
hope your password doesn't include a Y then

Could try a clean boot and see if its maybe a startup program
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

otherwise

Have you tried it in safe mode??
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

it should work in safe mode if its not windows causing it,

run AV/Malware scan?
I can tYpe lowercase Y for mY password. but ill tr the things u r saYing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it works at logon but not after... Sure looks like either a driver or some other program interfering with your ability to type lower case y. My guess would be on a program.

safe mode just confirms its not hardware as I doubt standard MS drivers would do it. My bet is on start up program.

Dec 30, 2019
if it works at logon but not after... Sure looks like either a driver or some other program interfering with your ability to type lower case y. My guess would be on a program.

safe mode just confirms its not hardware as I doubt standard MS drivers would do it. My bet is on start up program.
I tried booting it in safe mode and it let me press lowercase Y i tried disabling all of mY startup programs and it didnt work even after i restarted mY laptop also i am running a antivirus scan right now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So its probably a driver then. MY bet was wrong.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

it might give me a clue... its loading auto with windows and not viaa\ startup. so that leaves only so many things.

Dec 30, 2019
So its probably a driver then. MY bet was wrong.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

it might give me a clue... its loading auto with windows and not viaa\ startup. so that leaves only so many things.
https://ibb.co/fpzz9VX

Colif

Win 11 Master
SO I should have asked,,

Who makes the keyboard? Is it logitech? that isn't a blind question based on G Hub being on PC.

I can't see any other drivers I would suspect there.

try uninstalling it and see if it makes any difference.

Dec 30, 2019
SO I should have asked,,

Who makes the keyboard? Is it logitech? that isn't a blind question based on G Hub being on PC.

I can't see any other drivers I would suspect there.

try uninstalling it and see if it makes any difference.
I built mY keYboard, i have G-hub for mY mouse, but mY pcb was the GK61. I uninstalled that software a long time ago. also i have uninstalled G-hub multiple times and it hasn't made a difference. i even uninstalled the drivers and it made no difference.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't figure out an easy way of working out which software is doing it. You can't remove all drivers randomly, some reload on start-up.

We know windows is fine.

How long has it been happening? You could try system restore and see if there is a date in the recent past before this all started. IT is meant to run whenever you install a driver.
System restore -
type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
then open the newest restore point that is prior to the problem happening (if you have one)

Did you install anything new recently?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what is Asus Digi filter for? i see it can be used for keyboards? description shows its for numpads.
is this a notebook /laptop or a PC? what are some details of PC. Trying to work out whats out of place in driver list
if its an Asus PC (actually made by them)< have you tried running MYAsus app? you download it from the windows store.
I can tell its made by Asus, has an Intel CPU

You might need to reset windows to force it to get all new drivers. It is annoying but it is likely fastest way to identify cause, since its not logitech

Dec 30, 2019
what is Asus Digi filter for? i see it can be used for keyboards? description shows its for numpads.
is this a notebook /laptop or a PC? what are some details of PC. Trying to work out whats out of place in driver list
if its an Asus PC (actually made by them)< have you tried running MYAsus app? you download it from the windows store.
I can tell its made by Asus, has an Intel CPU

You might need to reset windows to force it to get all new drivers. It is annoying but it is likely fastest way to identify cause, since its not logitech
Im so sorrY for not replYing earlier but I dont know what Asus Digi filter is for but i think it is for mY laptops keYboard because it is a full size keYboard and when i check device manager also i didnt recentlY download anYthing that had permission to change mY drivers. I have no restore points i disabled that because whenever that is on I couldn't download anYthing. I dont remember how long but all i know is that one daY i was using mY computer and the Y keY just didn't work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you have one more showing under hid than i do, my keyboard doesn't seem to show anywhere. Only A G Hub virtual keyboard in Himan Interface Devices which is where most modern keyboards seem to go. The keyboard listing is more for older keyboards.

its late here, i need to sleep. I will have another look tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2019
you have one more showing under hid than i do, my keyboard doesn't seem to show anywhere. Only A G Hub virtual keyboard in Himan Interface Devices which is where most modern keyboards seem to go. The keyboard listing is more for older keyboards.

its late here, i need to sleep. I will have another look tomorrow.
Ok

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does Y key work on laptop keyboard? I know you say you using a GK61 so I assume you plug that in via USB.

digi fliter could be the touchpad driver

in others -
ASUS System Control Interface V2
This software is Driver for MyASUS. Please install MyASUS, ARMOURY CRATE UWP/Service to ensure all keyboard functions are working properly. dated 19th Sept 2020 - https://www.asus.com/me-en/Laptops/ROG-Strix-G/HelpDesk_Download/

try running MyAsus and see if any new drivers for device, it could help.

Dec 30, 2019
Does Y key work on laptop keyboard? I know you say you using a GK61 so I assume you plug that in via USB.

digi fliter could be the touchpad driver

in others -
ASUS System Control Interface V2
This software is Driver for MyASUS. Please install MyASUS, ARMOURY CRATE UWP/Service to ensure all keyboard functions are working properly. dated 19th Sept 2020 - https://www.asus.com/me-en/Laptops/ROG-Strix-G/HelpDesk_Download/

try running MyAsus and see if any new drivers for device, it could help.
No mY Y keY doesn't work with mY laptops keYboard either

Colif

Win 11 Master
So we know its software as safe mode is fine

I wonder if stopping drivers at startup might be about only way to figure out which is the cause.

downloaad this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
it shows all the programs that load with windows. you might want to show me screenshots to figure out which to stop. This isn't the most scientific way , I will see if anyone else has any smart ideas..

could always uninstall all items that show in HID in device manager and restart PC and see what repopulates. It has to be one of them... might also need to do same under Keyboard area.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019
So we know its software as safe mode is fine

I wonder if stopping drivers at startup might be about only way to figure out which is the cause.

downloaad this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
it shows all the programs that load with windows. you might want to show me screenshots to figure out which to stop. This isn't the most scientific way , I will see if anyone else has any smart ideas..

could always uninstall all items that show in HID in device manager and restart PC and see what repopulates. It has to be one of them... might also need to do same under Keyboard area.
I tried uninstalling everYthing in device manager a while ago and it didn't work. View: https://imgur.com/a/xvNTu8i
is the link to all of the things in autorun

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

You might need to do a reset, that forces windows to get all new drivers. If it continues after a reset... um. we worry about it then. we know it works without drivers so it might be only way.

Solution
Dec 30, 2019

ok, I think I'm ok with a hardware reset