Question I can't update GPU driver due to boot loop ?

Apr 16, 2024
I' getting strange color artifacts with an Asus GTX 560 Ti

Windows Device Manager says it’s Microsoft Basic Display and it’s stuck on low res and does a Windows boot loop when i try to install the manufacturer's driver.

I don’t know it's past history as I bought it used.
I don’t know how to send you a picture to show you.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Hi! You say you bought this GPU in used condition? Did it work normally for the previous owner? At first glance, it looks like a faulty GPU to me, but without more research, we can't say for sure. You could upload a picture to Imgur website and post the link here.

Apr 16, 2024
Hi! You say you bought this GPU in used condition? Did it work normally for the previous owner? At first glance, it looks like a faulty GPU to me, but without more research, we can't say for sure. You could upload a picture to Imgur website and post the link here.
Yes it’s used idk if u got the other comment i posted i’ll ask them for a background on it through i order it awhile ago

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Yes it’s used idk if u got the other comment i posted i’ll ask them for a background on it through i order it awhile ago
Yeah, I see the other comment with the picture. I suppose you downloaded the drivers from the official Nvidia website, right? The latest should be version 391.35 for Windows 10 64-bit.

Apr 16, 2024
Yeah, I see the other comment with the picture. I suppose you downloaded the drivers from the official Nvidia website, right? The latest should be version 391.35 for Windows 10 64-bit.
yep that is correct but then when i install drivers the computer restarts over and over again until i get the windows blue troubleshoot screen. they gave me a gpu as a replacement it’s a firepro v4900 i’m using that rn but i wnt to use the gtx 560ti since it’s obv better.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
yep that is correct but then when i install drivers the computer restarts over and over again until i get the windows blue troubleshoot screen. they gave me a gpu as a replacement it’s a firepro v4900 i’m using that rn but i wnt to use the gtx 560ti since it’s obv better.
When did the GTX 560 Ti start to cause these problems? Did you try to reinstall Windows?

Apr 16, 2024
When did the GTX 560 Ti start to cause these problems? Did you try to reinstall Windows?
yes i did and i think it started before i got it cause i plugged it in and it was like that i don’t know what to do i called somebody and they say they couldn’t help me cause the gtx 560ti is not supported something like that🤷‍♀️

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
yes i did and i think it started before i got it cause i plugged it in and it was like that i don’t know what to do i called somebody and they say they couldn’t help me cause the gtx 560ti is not supported something like that🤷‍♀️
You could try to go in Device Manager, under the Display Adapters section. Right click on the GPU, in this case Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and go to properties. It should show a message that there is a problem with the GPU, if it's faulty. If not, maybe you could try installing older drivers? The GPU indeed is no longer supported by Nvidia, but compatible drivers should work perfectly.