I changed my cpu and my computer doesn’t work anymore

Jan 4, 2019
Hello everyone !

I just changed my processor going from a i5-6400p to a i7-9700k and I also changed my basic intel cpu cooler with a NH-U9S and when I try to turn on my computer it turns on for half a second and then turns off. I am not really good with computers and it was the first time I made a big change in my pc so I probably made a stupid mistakes that I would like to understand. I read that it could be a problem with RAM because I have 2 DDR4 2400 and 1 DDR4 2133 and it may not suport it. I also read that it could be a problem with my BIOS but I didn’t really understand why (motherboard is a MSI B150M Bazooka Plus). I am sure that there are multiple other problems and that is why I am posting here for the first time asking for help.
I hope that this was not too painful to read and I thank everyone for taking time to read this.

Solution
The i7 9700k is not compatible with the B150M Bazooka motherboard. Intel broke compatibility starting with the 8th gen, and despite the CPUs having the same number of pins, the 8th and 9th gen CPUs will not work on older LGA 1151 motherboards. You need a 300 series chipset motherboard, preferably Z390 to use the 9700k.
The i7 9700k is not compatible with the B150M Bazooka motherboard. Intel broke compatibility starting with the 8th gen, and despite the CPUs having the same number of pins, the 8th and 9th gen CPUs will not work on older LGA 1151 motherboards. You need a 300 series chipset motherboard, preferably Z390 to use the 9700k.

Solution
Jan 4, 2019

Are you 100% sure because on intel's website it says it uses DDR4-2666 as memory type and that's not what I have. Sorry for being stubborn I am just scared of messing up again

For Coffee Lake CPUs that standard RAM speed is DDR4-2666 but slower speeds will work too. Faster speeds also tend to work fine with RAM compatibility only getting dicey on super high speed kits eg. DDR4-4000 or higher where the quality of the CPU's memory controller starts becoming a limiting factor on what RAM speed you can achieve.

Jan 4, 2019

Ok, I am thinking about exchanging the i7 9700k against the i7 7700k to solve the problem. Do you think it will work with my motherboard and everything ?

The 7700k would work, but you likely will have to do a BIOS update in order to use it if you haven't already, so you'd have to put your old CPU back in to do that.

Latest posts