[SOLVED] I changed my graphics card and now my PC won't boot!

Nov 29, 2019
I unplugged my Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 650 graphics card and plugged in my new Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti. Now my PC won't boot.

The CPU, PSU and GPU fans all starts, the power light comes on with the HDD light which flashes a little, green DVD light comes on and off then after 1-5 seconds the system shuts off. A few seconds later the system turns back on and this repeats over and over untill I press and hold the power button to turn it off.

I have tried turning it on with the old graphics card plugged back in and with no graphics card plugged in. It does the same.

I didn't uninstall drivers before unplugging the old graphics card as I thought with it being NVIDIA I didn't need to. Surely this is not the cause as it would work with the old card in still right?

What can I try to get this working? Have I somehow broken my motherboard or shorted something? The only things I think I touched were the wires to move them out of the way, the clip to get the card out and of course the graphics cards.

Any help solving this issue would be much appreciated. I am happy to provide further information if needed.

Solution
Thanks for the reply. I managed to fix this. I think I caused the issue by not uninstalling the drivers before changing the hardware.

It turns all I needed to do was to take out the RAM and put it back in again then power up. After doing that I got a screen that said the BIOS was corrupted, restoring BIOS settings from backup. After this my PC booted up fine and I was able to install the new drivers. I guess taking out the RAM triggered the BIOS settings to restore somehow.
Do you have a friend whom you can test the 1050Ti with? Also how much wattage does your Power supply provide? Minimum required for optimal performance with the 1050Ti is 300W.

If all of the above is already resolved,
Try this power reset:
  • Unplug your power supply and flip the power switch on the back of it
  • Remove the 3v battery on the board
  • Hold the power button on the front of your case to drain the computer of any residual power.

Once all that is done put the 3V battery in, then plug and switch the power supply back on and try putting your old card in first and if that works try the new card again.

Nov 29, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I managed to fix this. I think I caused the issue by not uninstalling the drivers before changing the hardware.

It turns all I needed to do was to take out the RAM and put it back in again then power up. After doing that I got a screen that said the BIOS was corrupted, restoring BIOS settings from backup. After this my PC booted up fine and I was able to install the new drivers. I guess taking out the RAM triggered the BIOS settings to restore somehow.

Solution