News I Changed the PS5's Power Supply. Did It Get Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Co BIY

Splendid
I guess you could disconnect the original PSU and leave it in place to maintain the airflow channels ...

I agree and think this would be a worthy experiment.

My expectation is that you would then get the improvements you were hoping for and good data for future repairs.

P5 content is probably gold so I expect Tom's can make this happen.

Reactions: artk2219

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
I cannot do this, unfortunately, because there will be no room for to connect the external PSU. The original PSU would cover the spade terminals of the mainboard.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021
I cannot do this, unfortunately, because there will be no room for to connect the external PSU. The original PSU would cover the spade terminals of the mainboard.

Make a mock PSU casing or try to cover any holes that the original was blocking. As you might suspect, the airflow has changed.

dwn2brasstacks

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Gut the old power supply, keep just the housing. Make neccessary changes so you can fit it back in, test. Add a small fan to exaust out of the back. Test. we are getting recycled hot air, let's use a cheap, efficient fan to correct it. We used to have to do this with branded computers back in the day to enhance the cooling.

In fact, you could also use an existing stock system, add a small fan with vent holes or just augment the existing system. This would be hugely cheaper and more practical.
Try to find the hottest spot where you can vent air directly outside.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
As others have stated that old PSU or something in its shape needs to stay in its place. It could make for a nice kit though, PSU and place holder in one kit so you dont have to modify the old PSU at all.

Dec 20, 2022
I'm trying to build a simple PS5 by just buying the motherboard, then finding cheaper components and liquid cooling the motherboard.

What exactly is the process of attaching an external power supply? Do I solder a female adaptor to the spade connectors? If so, which one goes where? I have no idea what to do for the PSU side of things, so any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS