[SOLVED] I cleaned my HDD with diskpart

NigateloJones

Reputable
Aug 26, 2019
I was trying to install windows 10 and i accidentally deleted my whole data stored on my hdd. Now i don t have the windows installed either. All i hagve is my win setup on my usb.

Solution
So the "Getting files ready for installation" is after its copied itself onto the ssd from the USB but I really don't know any of the details as to what its doing behind scenes and likelihood of recovering data from a hdd that had clean run on it. IT isn't running off the ssd at this stage, still running out of a ram disk.

Didn't anyone ever point out that Diskpart clean wipes the entire drive? Any time I tell anyone those steps I always say Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Depending how important the information is you need to get back, you can pay to have data recovered but I am no expert on what they could...
So what is problem?

you can still install win 10 from here, are you worried about licence or something?

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished
Going to assume the issue is with the personal data they wiped in the process, which Im going to hazard a guess and say there was no backup made.

NigateloJones

Reputable
Aug 26, 2019
Oh, well i forgot to mention this, when i m going fot the installation once it reached 70 % while getting files ready for install the setup stops working and it shows me the install now/repair your computer every time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So the "Getting files ready for installation" is after its copied itself onto the ssd from the USB but I really don't know any of the details as to what its doing behind scenes and likelihood of recovering data from a hdd that had clean run on it. IT isn't running off the ssd at this stage, still running out of a ram disk.

Didn't anyone ever point out that Diskpart clean wipes the entire drive? Any time I tell anyone those steps I always say Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Depending how important the information is you need to get back, you can pay to have data recovered but I am no expert on what they could get back.

Solution