[SOLVED] I cloned my W10 SSD clone boots original not anymore

Oct 10, 2019
I cloned a Samsung 256GB SSD on a WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB
I tested the new WD 500GB the computer booted and everything was fine. I removed the new SSD and put back the old one, it did not boot anymore
Does that mean that the BIOS stores info on the boot disk?
What can one do?

Solution
Problem solved!
The damn PC had put the SSD at the last boot position and did not bother looking that far for a bootable disk

Thanks for your efforts

This was triggered by an even stranger problem on another PC running W7. I decided to switch to W10 removed the W7 SSD and attached another SSD on which I had the upgrade to W10. When I switched on I got a short W7 screen!!!! and then a blue screen for the W10 SSD. I tried everything got to MS support, in the end I had to do a clean install of W10 and lose everything that was on the SSD... I had already used that W10 SSD on that computer without problems (I wanted to load the updates and keep that W10 up to date. But I preferred to use W7 as long as I can, I don't like W10)
Oct 10, 2019
I clone the SSD using ICY Box (i.e. no software on the PC)
I only connected one of the SSD when booting
Note: I previously backed up that same Samsung SSD on a similar Samsung SSD (both same model same 256GB storage space) without any problem both booted without problems. I had to use one of these 2 SSD for an emergency repair on another PC, but did not want to be without a backup the reason for the WD 500GB

USAFRet

Titan
I clone the SSD using ICY Box (i.e. no software on the PC)
I only connected one of the SSD when booting
Note: I previously backed up that same Samsung SSD on a similar Samsung SSD (both same model same 256GB storage space) without any problem both booted without problems. I had to use one of these 2 SSD for an emergency repair on another PC, but did not want to be without a backup the reason for the WD 500GB
If I'm reading this correctly, after the successful clone operation,you put the Samsung in a different PC for 'repair'?
And now that Samsung does not boot in its original drive?

Is this correct?

Oct 10, 2019
I should not have gone into irrelevant details. I erased the second Samsung disk I had as backup and used it for something else. Since I did not want to stand there without a backup anymore I bought as soon as possible another SSD (in that case the 500GB one) and cloned the original W10 Samsung on it. This is when the problem started.

USAFRet

Titan
I should not have gone into irrelevant details. I erased the second Samsung disk I had as backup and used it for something else. Since I did not want to stand there without a backup anymore I bought as soon as possible another SSD (in that case the 500GB one) and cloned the original W10 Samsung on it. This is when the problem started.
Not really irrelevant.
I'm still unsure of what drive is or is not working.

The WD Blue works?
And the original Samsung fails? Was that particular Samsung ever put in some other PC?

Oct 10, 2019
The WD works and the Samsung not. I tried the Samsung in another PC, it works: Boot is OK, MS Office complains and suggest I should activate etc... everything I would expect.
I thought it could be that the partition styles are different but both are MBR.
I come to the conclusion that somehow some information about the boot disk is stored in the BIOS (where else?) It is not the first time I clone onto a bigger SSD (I did it on my laptop) I never encountered that problem...

Oct 10, 2019
Problem solved!
The damn PC had put the SSD at the last boot position and did not bother looking that far for a bootable disk

Thanks for your efforts

This was triggered by an even stranger problem on another PC running W7. I decided to switch to W10 removed the W7 SSD and attached another SSD on which I had the upgrade to W10. When I switched on I got a short W7 screen!!!! and then a blue screen for the W10 SSD. I tried everything got to MS support, in the end I had to do a clean install of W10 and lose everything that was on the SSD... I had already used that W10 SSD on that computer without problems (I wanted to load the updates and keep that W10 up to date. But I preferred to use W7 as long as I can, I don't like W10)

Solution