[SOLVED] i cloned my windows from my old ssd (128gb) to my new NVME M.2 (1TB) and now i cant get back the remaining space.

Solution
What tool did you use for this clone?

Macrium Reflect gives you the ability to manipulate the size of the resulting partitions.
If you leave it at the default, the target partition will be the same size as the source was.

If the original drive is still viable, redo the clone.

Exactly like this, paying attention to the part in the middle.
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for...

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Unfortunately, the Recovery Partition has taken up the slack on the new drive.

You will have to clone it again. This time, don't use Auto. You'll need to select Custom or Manual and have it move the Recovery Partition to the last 500MB of the new disk. That should sort out your problem.

I used Acronis True Image OEM / Clone Disk that came free with my NVMe drive.

This is what my target disk partitions look like, only, I gave my Recovery Partition 1GB of space:
Nyra3nQ.png

USAFRet

Titan
What tool did you use for this clone?

Macrium Reflect gives you the ability to manipulate the size of the resulting partitions.
If you leave it at the default, the target partition will be the same size as the source was.

If the original drive is still viable, redo the clone.

Exactly like this, paying attention to the part in the middle.
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan

DominionV

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
I am a bit confused on some of the verbiage used. I thought in order to boot Windows from a new Drive/Partition you would "Migrate" the OS not clone?

I have used the "Migrate OS" in the AOMEI Partition Assistant program to migrate Windows 7 ulitimate from a 1TB SATA drive to a 1TB WD SSD NVMe on a PCIe adapter. Windows 7 ultimate recognizes the SSD drive (after a SSD to PCIe hotfix) and the migrated data. The MB bios will not recognize the drive to boot from but the MB previous to the migration recognized the partitioned SSD. Any ideas I have thought about flashing bios to update but only if necessary since the system runs great. Also looked to see if the MB mfr has any drivers to assist but I can only find documentation. Lastly I have downloaded a Dashboard utility and Acronis True Image WD Edition from Western Digital but did not use the image tool because it said it "clones" not "migrates".

Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP
AMD A10-7860K
16GB ram
ASUS STRIX - Radeon RX 460 Graphics
1TB Toshiba HDD (current OS boot)
Western Digital WD BLUE SN550 NVMe SSD
M.2 NVMe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter w/ covered heat sink(Micro Connectors)

USAFRet

Titan
I am a bit confused on some of the verbiage used. I thought in order to boot Windows from a new Drive/Partition you would "Migrate" the OS not clone?

I have used the "Migrate OS" in the AOMEI Partition Assistant program to migrate Windows 7 ulitimate from a 1TB SATA drive to a 1TB WD SSD NVMe on a PCIe adapter. Windows 7 ultimate recognizes the SSD drive (after a SSD to PCIe hotfix) and the migrated data. The MB bios will not recognize the drive to boot from but the MB previous to the migration recognized the partitioned SSD. Any ideas I have thought about flashing bios to update but only if necessary since the system runs great. Also looked to see if the MB mfr has any drivers to assist but I can only find documentation. Lastly I have downloaded a Dashboard utility and Acronis True Image WD Edition from Western Digital but did not use the image tool because it said it "clones" not "migrates".

Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP
AMD A10-7860K
16GB ram
ASUS STRIX - Radeon RX 460 Graphics
1TB Toshiba HDD (current OS boot)
Western Digital WD BLUE SN550 NVMe SSD
M.2 NVMe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter w/ covered heat sink(Micro Connectors)
"Migrate" and "clone" are mostly analogous.
Not exact, but for these purposes, close enough.

The problem you're having, is that your motherboard does not know how to boot from an NVMe drive in a PCIe slot adapter.
Not all motherboards of that vintage have this capability. And most that do, it was only with a subsequent BIOS update that addressed this particular function.
Looking in the available BIOS updates, I see no reference to that.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A88X-D3HP-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

It would appear you are out of luck trying to boot from this drive. No matter how it was created. Fresh install, migrate, clone, whatever...

basically title,ive cloned my windows and now my disk manager shows 811 GBs as primary partition even tho i cant access it or add it to my cloned ssd,really confused can anyone help me? any way i can make the C drive show 931GB?.
Delete 811GB recovery partition, extend c: partition.
Open command prompt and execute.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition 3
(make sure, you select 811GB partition)​
delete partition override
select partition 2
extend
exit

Reactions: Ralston18

DominionV

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
"Migrate" and "clone" are mostly analogous.
Not exact, but for these purposes, close enough.

The problem you're having, is that your motherboard does not know how to boot from an NVMe drive in a PCIe slot adapter.
Not all motherboards of that vintage have this capability. And most that do, it was only with a subsequent BIOS update that addressed this particular function.
Looking in the available BIOS updates, I see no reference to that.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A88X-D3HP-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

It would appear you are out of luck trying to boot from this drive. No matter how it was created. Fresh install, migrate, clone, whatever...
+
USAFRet

I truly appreciate the input looks like its new motherboard time!

Any suggestions? I am partial to AMD, since I work in graphic design, 3D modeling and do gaming. AMD is or was known for its superiority in that arena if I am not mistaken. I was thinking Rzyen. Have to admit I am not up on my new tech the IT portion of my degree was 20 years ago and not my forte anymore. Thanks, no obligation to reply since this really is not the thread for this discussion.

USAFRet

Titan
+
USAFRet

I truly appreciate the input looks like its new motherboard time!

Any suggestions? I am partial to AMD, since I work in graphic design, 3D modeling and do gaming. AMD is or was known for its superiority in that arena if I am not mistaken. I was thinking Rzyen. Have to admit I am not up on my new tech the IT portion of my degree was 20 years ago and not my forte anymore. Thanks, no obligation to reply since this really is not the thread for this discussion.
Not just new motherboard...whole new system
CPU/motherboard/RAM...

Start here, post in the Systems forum