I constantly get BSOD with error irql_not_less_or_equal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A78M%20Pro4+/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

you will want to install the current BIOS version for your machine and update to the current drivers.
looks like the current version is bios 2.3 dated 12/22/2015
I did would think the drivers would be in the AMD all in 1 driver ver:15.20.1065
package dated 12/24/2015

the bugcheck you got is due to the mixed matched version of USB drivers you have installed. IE the drivers you have installed are very old (2009 and 2010) and will not work exactly right with a bios from 2013.
You will not be able to get the usb drivers that matched the BIOS version so you will have update both your BIOS and The usb drivers to the current version for best results.

machine:
BIOS...
I would think it would be contained in the amd all in one driver dated 5/28/2015
on http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A78M%20Pro4+/?cat=Download&os=Win864
(the first entry)

-you should be able to go into bios and confirm the setting for the sata ports to see what mode is selected.

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
Just checked and it's IDE.I heard that there is a tool for changing from IDE to AHcI for windows 8 released by microsoft but i couldn't find it.I guess I will have to do it the other way.As for getting any bugchecks I got several.They were all driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and they had two files pointed in brackets - "storport.sys" and "amd_sata.sys" which leads me to think that one of the causes is definitely the IDE mode.

P.S:When I checked again the SATA mode is AHcI but there is another option which is SATA IDE combination which is enabled :/

you would just need to make a registry setting change to start the correct driver in windows.

you can google "how to convert to ahci mode on windows"
or look here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

basically you boot into windows, make the registry change, boot in to BIOS and make the BIOS sata entry change to AHCI
and reboot into windows and that is it.

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016

I will do it but I have to be sure so here is a picture of my sata settings.You can see that the sata mode is AHcI but this other option a few lines below which is enabled boggles me.So should I edit the registry files and then disable it?
20160701_194844.jpg

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016

But should I first edit the registry files in windows or just do it without it?

I would edit the registry but I think you might find it has already been changed. if you make the change in bios and the registry is not correct then when you boot the system will not see your hard drive at some point in the boot up process.

I think you just don't want to have they hybrid sata /ide mode enabled. I would guess it just has bugs in it.
most people would never use that mode.

the minidump just shows that something overran a stack buffer.

-you will want to change the memory dump type to kernel memory dump. (minidumps do not save the debug info)
you will need to turn on verifier.exe to turn on extra driver checking.
start cmd.exe as an admin then run
verifier.exe /standard /all
and reboot.
(make sure you know how to get into safe mode (f8 or shift+f8)
so you can turn off verifier if the machine bugchecks during the boot process.
Note: after testing using verifier you will have to turn it off or your machine will run slowly until you do.
use
verifier.exe /reset

Note: how to change the memory dump type:
https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/111474
(select kernel memory dump rather than full)
the memory dump will be stored in a larger file C:\windows\memory.dmp

be sure to apply the driver updates for your motherboard.

well if verifier is running the mindump will show the driver that failed but you can not see the logs or the supporting debug info.
potentially it will bugcheck earlier when the problem just starts rather than when some random driver gets its data corrupted.

a minidump would have all of the debug info stripped out but might name the driver. (maybe 20% of the time)
it would be better to capture a kernel dump so the debug info is retained. file would be c:\windows\memory.dmp
as default. But it would depend on your system settings since you can pick any name and location you wanted.

I think it wold be better to post a link to the website rather than copy someones entire article.
http://www.pcgamer.com/blue-screen-of-death-survival-guide-every-error-explained/

also the information is very dated, looks like something from the old vista days.
(not to mention the other problems)

%systemroot% is a variable it could be assigned to anything. by default it it c:\windows but it could be anything.

I would hard code the value, just change it to
c:\windows

using a memory dump also assumes that you have space on your drive, and that you have a large enough pagefile.sys on your c: drive. (virtual memory setting)

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
I'm back with an update.Sorry for not posting for the past months but I was busy with other stuff.So in these past months the times I get a BSOD increased immensely.I almost couldn't bare it and because of that I decided to try updating my BIOS for the seconds time(last time my PC stopped posting).So I did it just 30 minutes ago and the PC couldn't really start after the logo screen at the beginning.It just kept restarting itself but then I went to BIOS and after that it successfully booted in windows albeit it took more than it usually does.So now I'm writing from it and it all seems fine for now.I will use it a week and then make another update on the thread.If it doesn't get a BSOD I will close this thread and finally rest,knowing everything is working like it's supposed to work.