I could use some advice on upgrading my HP for World of Warcraft!!!

Grizzle_Erskeet

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I have a HP p6210y with an AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz with 5.75 usable RAM on a 64-bit Operating System and am getting horrible FPS issues with World of Warcraft. I realize I need to upgrade and am looking at a few things, but I have never done this before so could use some help please. I want to get a PNY - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card and realize I need to upgrade my PSU. I was looking at a Corsair Professional Series HX1000W Power supply - 1 kW. Do I then need to upgrade my CPU? What will be compatible with my motherboard? I was hoping for an Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750 but I don't know if it is compatible. I also don't know if all of this will even fit in my tower, lol! Please help!!!

Grizzle_Erskeet

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Ok, cool. I wasn't sure about the processor either. So what comparable AMD processor would you recommend? I am working with a $700.00 budget for now, but money isn't the issue. The Dude abides, lol! How about the AMD Black Edition - AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor? I was looking at doing SLI in the future. I only need the one graphics card now. So if I am running AMD, should I run ATI Radeon for the GPU?

G

If you're on a low budget like $700 there's no point to ever doing crossfire or sli. For example, my situation... I have a 5870. I spent $200 on it, I could buy another 5870 for another $200 and upgrade my PSU for $100... that's $500 to buy a GTX 580 which seems to have similar performance, 500mb more RAM, and I don't have to deal with crossfire issues such as thermals, microstuttering, loading profiles, and driver/game issues.

Just stick with single card, especially if all you do is WoW...

Is the Athlon II X4 an older amd processor? If it is, get a new compatible CPU, a new video card, and a new PSU. You'll have a great upgrade with these 3 things and actually probably be below your $700 budget. At most you'll spend $450.

TRENDING THREADS