[SOLVED] I Created a new SSD Bootdrive, But non of the programs are working from the other drives

Jan 4, 2020
I have recently upgraded my boot drive to a Kingston A400 240 gb ( Link Here ) and kept my 2 older 1 tb drives as storage. I did not reset my old drives (including the one that used to have windows, just lowered it in the boot order) so I could hopefully keep my games on them. When I booted up my PC for the first time on the new SSD, I couldn't open any of the programs from the old storage devices. I reinstalled steam, once I opened steam I had to create a "New Folder" to store the games on my other drives, and once I did, all of my games were recognized. Will I have to reinstall of the programs from my old drives to allow me to play the games I have installed or would I just be better off formatting those drives and starting fresh? ( I'm up to reformatting both my drives but it would be pretty annoying to have to reinstall all 1.5 tb of games and other files )

Solution
I have recently upgraded my boot drive to a Kingston A400 240 gb ( Link Here ) and kept my 2 older 1 tb drives as storage. I did not reset my old drives (including the one that used to have windows, just lowered it in the boot order) so I could hopefully keep my games on them. When I booted up my PC for the first time on the new SSD, I couldn't open any of the programs from the old storage devices. I reinstalled steam, once I opened steam I had to create a "New Folder" to store the games on my other drives, and once I did, all of my games were recognized. Will I have to reinstall of the programs from my old drives to allow me to play the games I have installed or would I just be better off formatting those drives and starting...

kanewolf

Titan
I have recently upgraded my boot drive to a Kingston A400 240 gb ( Link Here ) and kept my 2 older 1 tb drives as storage. I did not reset my old drives (including the one that used to have windows, just lowered it in the boot order) so I could hopefully keep my games on them. When I booted up my PC for the first time on the new SSD, I couldn't open any of the programs from the old storage devices. I reinstalled steam, once I opened steam I had to create a "New Folder" to store the games on my other drives, and once I did, all of my games were recognized. Will I have to reinstall of the programs from my old drives to allow me to play the games I have installed or would I just be better off formatting those drives and starting fresh? ( I'm up to reformatting both my drives but it would be pretty annoying to have to reinstall all 1.5 tb of games and other files )
Your previously installed applications have to be reinstalled because the Windows registry was wiped out when you created a new boot drive.
Stream games and other "data" files don't have to be reinstalled.

Reactions: BrandonParoff
Solution
Jan 4, 2020
Your previously installed applications have to be reinstalled because the Windows registry was wiped out when you created a new boot drive.
Stream games and other "data" files don't have to be reinstalled.
Thanks for the help! I really didn't want to spend my Friday/Weekend re downloading games