[SOLVED] I currently own a Ryzen 5 2600 and I'd like to upgrade it to enable my RTX 2070 Super a lot better. What shoud I get?

Hunter184

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
Here are my specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
16 GB DDR4
Windows 10
Gigabyte A320M-S2H-CF
RTX 2070 Super

Budget doesn't really matter. Also, if anyone has additional upgrades I could possibly make, please feel free to share :)

Thank you!

Solution
i wouldnt bother overclocking on your mainboard, those a320 boards were ment for low power CPUs, once u put something more power greedy, it will just throttle your system (no cooling on vrm, and cheap vrm design)
am pretty sure just changing to atleast b450 mainboard (any) will net you more performance then going 3000 serie cpu with your current mainboard
3000 I think, where would I find that out?
In the bios.

If you are already overclocking theres few games that will benefit a lot from a cpu upgrade if you game at 1440p or higher. Were talking 10% maybe because at these resolutions you are gpu bound most of the time

You cant upgrade to a 3000 series either without replacing the moyherboard and possibly reinstalling the o s.

The 2600 was a champion for midrange for a reason. It was a good match with midrange cards. And you are kind of bordering on the edge of 4k with your 2070 super.

KKMasterYT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Here are my specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
16 GB DDR4
Windows 10
Gigabyte A320M-S2H-CF
RTX 2070 Super

Budget doesn't really matter. Also, if anyone has additional upgrades I could possibly make, please feel free to share :)

Thank you!
Hello. You really don't need to upgrade now. Your system is powerful enough to pair with the 2070 Super. But if you want to extract the whole juice from your computer, you can get a Ryzen 7 3700X or Ryzen 5 3600 (or X version) if the budget is so high. But if you are a straight away enthusiast, you can really get the Ryzen 9 3900X but its 500$. But the Ryzen 5 2600 is still to be honest, the best pair for the 2070 Super. But I had suggest you upgrade to a new motherboard (Just swap out the mother board and do the cable management all again, but it's worth it), because if you ever have to upgrade your PC in the future, I would really recommend you having atleast a B450 chipset motherboard. The A320 chipset doesn't have any future CPU upgrade paths. You can still, if you can, buy the Ryzen 7 2700X which is the most powerful CPU your motherboard can support. Hope this helped. You don't need to upgrade anything. All I said is just suggestions. The Ryzen 5 2600 and 2070 Super is good enough.

What kinds of games do you play?
Is your gaming performance a problem?

For a stress test, what is your clock rate?
If you have not overclocked, you could try and see what you can get.

As a back handed way to see what value a 20% overclock might get you, reduce your cpu % by 20% and see how that impacts you. go to windows power settings and reduce the max cpu % to 80%.

If you need a cpu change, ryzen 3xxx is popular.
You might expect an overclocked rate in the 4.1 range:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-silicon-lottery-binning,40157.html
Pick the number of threads you need. You can get 16 and up.
6 or better should do it for most games.

Or,
Any of the 9th gen intel K suffix processors should do 5.0; their thread counts are 6/8/16.

Hunter184

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
What kinds of games do you play?
Is your gaming performance a problem?

For a stress test, what is your clock rate?
If you have not overclocked, you could try and see what you can get.

As a back handed way to see what value a 20% overclock might get you, reduce your cpu % by 20% and see how that impacts you. go to windows power settings and reduce the max cpu % to 80%.

If you need a cpu change, ryzen 3xxx is popular.
You might expect an overclocked rate in the 4.1 range:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-silicon-lottery-binning,40157.html
Pick the number of threads you need. You can get 16 and up.
6 or better should do it for most games.

Or,
Any of the 9th gen intel K suffix processors should do 5.0; their thread counts are 6/8/16.
I don't play too many stressful games (the most stressful is probably Apex Legends, which sometimes has harsh fps dips and I'm unsure if that's game related or my PC).

I don't know much about overclocking etc so I'm a little hesitant on doing that kinda stuff.
I'll definitely check out the 3xxx range though, they seem promising.

i wouldnt bother overclocking on your mainboard, those a320 boards were ment for low power CPUs, once u put something more power greedy, it will just throttle your system (no cooling on vrm, and cheap vrm design)
am pretty sure just changing to atleast b450 mainboard (any) will net you more performance then going 3000 serie cpu with your current mainboard

Solution