[SOLVED] I damaged the socket AM4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Ok, how can i test it?
#1: You need a KNOWN good motherboard (basically a whole computer) to test the CPU. No other way.
#2: Once the CPU is known good (or you aquire a known good one) then you substitute in the suspect motherboard.

But, if you actually managed to get that CPU fully seated in the socket, and powered it up, then the odds of having destroyed something rise to virtually 100%.
Ok, how can i test it?
#1: You need a KNOWN good motherboard (basically a whole computer) to test the CPU. No other way.
#2: Once the CPU is known good (or you aquire a known good one) then you substitute in the suspect motherboard.

But, if you actually managed to get that CPU fully seated in the socket, and powered it up, then the odds of having destroyed something rise to virtually 100%.

Reactions: Hardybrt
Solution

Be careful plugging possibly shorted parts into a "known good" motherboard.

CPU: "Here's the 0 ohm impedance you ordered Mr. VRM!"
Motherboard VRM: "I didn't order 0 ohm, I need...."

smoke and sparks ensue

It may be the other way around but point is the same. Here's an interesting video to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.