OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Hi i'm a newbie to overclocking and nees some help. Basically i bought a Acer M1640 with an E4700 2.6ghz Processor and 2GB of ram, i recentley installed a new 500W PSU because i bought a 8800GTX and now i want to overclock my processor and upgrade my ram, but i've heard that its hard to overclock a CPU on a OEM motherboard espcially because i cant find out which one i have, aswell i'm not too sure on how to overclock in the first place, i dont really want to by a new motherboard and really want to get my processor to say 3-3.2 ghz, i really need the extra power as i'm a avid gamer, i know i'l need new cooling and so on but i just need help on what the hell i need to do. Any CONSTRUCTIVE help would be apperciated and help none of the whole dont bother crap. So firstly help on how to overclock on a dualcore in the first place would help and then secondly any help specfically for me would be great, i seek the help of some great Jedi Master lol :kaola: ...

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
wow they actually made a e4700? :O

if its an acer, you can't overclock it. my suggestion would be to either get a whole new build, or replace the motherboard. do some research first though :lol:

btw, you paid a lot more than you should have for that acer :lol: i hate them more then dells...

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I didn't pay too much for my system and at the time being a **** didnt think too much about upgrading my system, really do i need to change my motherboard that would be such a hassle... plus wouldnt i need a new case etc and that would expensive... realistically then how long do you think i can last on my processor for if i say just upgrade to 4gb ram and then just wait a while, then say 2 years down the line i can build a new system from scratch... think i can push it for that long?

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
PLUS I REALLY WANT TO OVERCLOCK TO PUSH MY SYSTEM FOR 3 YEARS... and then i dont know buy an alienware or something... as long as i can keep playing my games to the max... because I HATE CONSOLES lol even tho i own most of them...

A little bit of research will point you toward guides about "How to OC C2D processors".

Then you should look at a couple of specific OC guides just to be certain you understand what's going on.

Then you will need to look at the BIOS on your motherboard to see what it will let you do. Your options will range from being able to do nothing (I have a motherboard like that) to being able to adjust literally everything. I have one of those also.

If you do have a really basic motherboard, your only option may simply be to install a faster CPU. If that's the case, the stock Intel HSF will be more than adequate.

And now a couple notes about etiquette. First, a thread title such as "I dare you to help! lol" is one of the worst titles you can use for asking help. Second, I (and probably most of the regulars here) expect you to do some of your own research.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
i could have said that, but judging by the oP's post i figured he would go off his nut.

theres a sticky at the top of this forum that guides you through overclocking "C2D and C2Q". you really should look around before creating a thread of your own like it says...

the fact is, OEM's like Acer have LOCKED BIOS's. Acer's CANNOT be overclocked. either deal with what you have, or get a new motherboard and RESEARCH HOW TO OVERCLOCK Core 2's.

google is your friend. Unless there's a problem not covered by google, please don't pester us with common, easily solved questions.

you will probably find most of the regulars clicked on your thread, read your post and when nuh.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Venom, when you say research and "Google", does that mean I have to actually find answers for myself? Are you insinuating that maybe I should try to help myself? Bah! Nonsense!