Question I deactivated cortana, but appears in taskmanager

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the normal search feature is tied to cortana. so even if cortana is not running, search is and they go under the same process.

i think it has been separated but they may not have moved it out from under that process yet. i have not used win 10 in a long time so not sure if they are supposed to have changed this "feature" or not.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I deactivated it in Settings, where in services can i do it?
It is a little more complex than a simple disable.

Various options are here
https://superuser.com/questions/949569/can-i-completely-disable-cortana-on-windows-10

However on recollection, @Math Geek is correct, I believe Cortana is still tied to windows search service, so disabling it will also disable windows search.

Secondly I suspect as soon as you update Windows to larger updates, it could well reactivate.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have been trying to get "my readership" to understand that the Cortana process is related to a lot more than just (or even) the personal digital assistant function.

It is part and parcel of Windows Search. I have never even once had the personal digital assistant feature of Cortana active on any of my systems. The first thing I did back in 2015 was to "scale it back" to the behavior of plain old Windows Search.

To this day, that has not changed, through all the feature updates, but I have always had a Cortana process because I do want Windows Search to function on those rare occasions where I need to search based upon file content. Most of my searching is on file name and is done with the Everything Search by voidtools.com

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i figured it was still set-up that way since i see this question here and there.

thanks for verifying. been a while so have not personally used the newer win 10 updates from the last year or so. but it was that way from the start and had not read they had changed it. i believe they said they were separating the features but seems like they still keeping them under that process name.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I also believe it's the settings for Windows Search that have been broken out in more detail under the Settings (see Settings, Search - which is an entirely new settings cluster in 1903).

I don't believe the underlying functionality being handled via the Cortana process is any different than it has been.

TRENDING THREADS