Discussion I decreased the CPU clock down to 4.00Ghz for gaming

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I am at it again! I just want to know if now that i decreased clock of my CPU i9 9900KF from 4.8Ghz (i left Intel Turbo Boost ON) to 4.00Ghz with XTU software will PC quit freezing in more demanding games?
Also voltages seems to be more stable around 1.050 max, and i read that 4.00Ghz CPU clock is optimal for gaming, i tried some games for half an hour and it seems pretty good, performance and loading time. I bet it was always overheating so i got that buzz infinite freeze with no other escape than hard reset.
I have a case full of fans plus (dark rock 4) running at maximum RPM, perfectly arranged exhaust and intake ventilation, even that didn't seem to cool it down enough at 4.7, 4.8Ghz.
Now i hope the freezing will stop because it could also be related to high power usage and HEAT HEAT HEAT! I always use the recommended optimal settings for games by nvidia experience.

Thanks!

It could also just be that running at that high of a clock speed is enough to cause intermittent errors. The thing is, yes you may have run it through say Prime95 or whatever, but Prime95 is a highly optimized number cruncher. Running it is not the same as running a game.

In any case, here's an article I like to share about this: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20050412-47/?p=35923

Reactions: svorcs

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Ok thanks for info, i did a lot of monitoring and in-game setting changing and everytime i got a freeze i immediately put my hand on the top of case above CPU radiator and it was pretty warm to hot.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Amazing and super info-containing-ARTICLE! Actually this i9 CPU i put inside was first running at 5.2Ghz
I hate these pre-clocked settings!
Thanks for the link! I saved it!

If it was freezing due to heat, need a better cooler or air flow, If its cool and still frezzing, I'd look at ram, be it settings or the CPU just not liking it, I've had vary picky CPU's in the past, My Dual Xeon server with e5-2470s are really bad for this, Or the CPU or Mobo is defective or even a Powersupply, Downclocking to make things stable in my opinion is just a band aid.

Why buy a 9900KF to downclock it, you know what I mean, Could of just saved a little bit by going with a lower clocked CPU and spend that money else where.

I'd definitely look into cooling, keep everything stock, the CPU should be able to maintain its max Turbo until a max temp of 100C is hit (motherboard could lower this) or a power limit is hit, and not freeze, it normally will just downclock and just keep on going.

Good luck man!

Reactions: svorcs

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
If it was freezing due to heat, need a better cooler or air flow, If its cool and still frezzing, I'd look at ram, be it settings or the CPU just not liking it, I've had vary picky CPU's in the past, My Dual Xeon server with e5-2470s are really bad for this, Or the CPU or Mobo is defective or even a Powersupply, Downclocking to make things stable in my opinion is just a band aid.

Why buy a 9900KF to downclock it, you know what I mean, Could of just saved a little bit by going with a lower clocked CPU and spend that money else where.

I'd definitely look into cooling, keep everything stock, the CPU should be able to maintain its max Turbo until a max temp of 100C is hit (motherboard could lower this) or a power limit is hit, and not freeze, it normally will just downclock and just keep on going.

Good luck man!
Yes i get you, i just overkilled with the 9900kf, because it was very cheap recently, I think every other hardware is fine, i have 2x8gb ram in dual channel put in 5 additional fans in the case, manually removing and putting in every piece of hardware multiple times in one week etc etc, RTX2060 is doing fine so far i think, i just noticed some improvements with the performance when downclocking this CPU, i got rid of texture lag or stutter in some games, but in some older games i still notice some jagged edges in games like angular visible lines. I am 100% sure it's the CPU problem because before i had i5 9400f and never run into the freezing problems running it at 4.1Ghz. I'll just go like this from now on, CPU did not seem to have freeze the system again at 4.00Ghz. I'll do some more load-type-gaming. Maybe i also installed too much intel and MSI softwarte products updated bios and multiple times restarting the PC, opening and adjusting the fans manually resetting brbrbrbr.... and setting the defaults in bios ..... prrrhrhrhr.............., i have a Wi-Fi adapter on my desktop and anything could be causing the issues. But i call this a fix for now.

Thanks for help again everyone!

Last edited:

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Yes i get you, i just overkilled with the 9900kf, because it was very cheap recently, I think every other hardware is fine, i have 2x8gb ram in dual channel put in 5 additional fans in the case, manually removing and putting in every piece of hardware multiple times in one week etc etc, RTX2060 is doing fine so far i think, i just noticed some improvements with the performance when downclocking this CPU, i got rid of texture lag or stutter in some games, but in some older games i still notice some jagged edges in games like angular visible lines. I am 100% sure it's the CPU problem because before i had i5 9400f and never run into the freezing problems running it at 4.1Ghz. I'll just go like this from now on, CPU did not seem to have freeze the system again at 4.00Ghz. I'll do some more load-type-gaming. Maybe i also installed too much intel and MSI softwarte products updated bios and multiple times restarting the PC, opening and adjusting the fans manually resetting brbrbrbr.... and setting the defaults in bios ..... prrrhrhrhr.............., i have a Wi-Fi adapter on my desktop and anything could be causing the issues. But i call this a fix for now.

Thanks for help again everyone!
I am kind of a [language] usually when it comes to problems.

Last edited by a moderator: