Question I did 6 things and my system still restarts. What do I do?

Jul 8, 2019
Okay...
So back last summer, for some reason my computer started restarting without any signs and/or payload.
After that, I did these things over a span of a year, and it's still restarting sometimes, though it's much less frequent.
  • Buy a new case that improves ventilation
  • Buy a new power supply (Cooler Master Elite V3 500W)
  • Replace that power supply with a Corsair CX550
  • Buy a new SSD and trash the remaining 2 HDDs (Now I've got a 500GB HDD and a 240GB SSD)
  • Re-apply thermal paste
  • Do a bunch of things in settings like turning off sleep and turning down the max CPU usage
I'm out of things. Guys honestly, at this point every website says the same, and the weirdest part is that, people are commenting on those websites saying, that the proposed solution works for them. Please, if you got anything, comment it, even if it's not directly related. I'm DESPERATE.

Jul 8, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So you've already eradicated PSU and Storage drives.

What is the rest of your system spec?
Do the restarts occur in safe mode?
Oh yeah, sorry for not mentioning those, my specs are:
  • MSI H110M PRO-D
  • I5-7400
  • AMD RX 460
  • Corsair CX550
  • Kingston SUV500
  • Windows 10 Pro
For Safe Mode, I haven't tried that one for some reason, tomorrow will be the day of that! (I live in Hungary, so it's 23:12 here)
And also, a big problem with trying in safe mode, that I can safely say, that it won't restart. The frequency at this point is so low, it's basically 1 in 10 days, BUT it still happens. But of course, everything can happen, so when I leave for my English class in the morning, I will leave it open in Safe Mode, and will see.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh yeah, sorry for not mentioning those, my specs are:
  • MSI H110M PRO-D
  • I5-7400
  • AMD RX 460
  • Corsair CX550
  • Kingston SUV500
  • Windows 10 Pro
For Safe Mode, I haven't tried that one for some reason, tomorrow will be the day of that! (I live in Hungary, so it's 23:12 here)
And also, a big problem with trying in safe mode, that I can safely say, that it won't restart. The frequency at this point is so low, it's basically 1 in 10 days, BUT it still happens. But of course, everything can happen, so when I leave for my English class in the morning, I will leave it open in Safe Mode, and will see.
I understand it can be difficult, obviously safe mode helps identify if it could be software or hardware.

If it is hardware, it may be worth using memtest to check RAM if this has not been done already.
It may also be worth removing GPU and running on integrated to check if it is the GPU.

Due to the nature of the distance between problems, I'd find it odd that a problem with hardware would disappear for a year, you could say Occam's Razor would say it's either a new component, or software that is now rising it's head again. But it's just a case of testing.

Jul 8, 2019
I understand it can be difficult, obviously safe mode helps identify if it could be software or hardware.

If it is hardware, it may be worth using memtest to check RAM if this has not been done already.
It may also be worth removing GPU and running on integrated to check if it is the GPU.

Due to the nature of the distance between problems, I'd find it odd that a problem with hardware would disappear for a year, you could say Occam's Razor would say it's either a new component, or software that is now rising it's head again. But it's just a case of testing.
Oh, and I also forgot to mention, that my GPU does play into this. Basically, a few months ago, still unregistered, I was browsing this forum, when I saw a post, that had the poster collect a bunch of threads about their computer failing (frequent restarts, BSOD, no boot etc.) after buying an RX 460. The OP then sent a bunch of letters to AMD regarding the issue, they e-mailed back, that the issue probably lies in the driver, but they can't confirm. The OP then commented about a possibly solution. It was basically using AMD driver ver. 15.10.1 (I think). I installed it, then it worked, for about 2 months. Then it started again. Then another guy claimed, the problem was with the core clock. He suggested, you lower it by 300 MHz. I did it. Worked. Till now. Not mentioning my FPS in Cities: Skylines after that.

Jul 8, 2019

Just got back, didn't shut down. Left 8:30 am, came back 12:40.

TRENDING THREADS