I did the dumb and I'm I'm dire need of help :c

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Please forgive the long read I fucked up help me please

Ok so long story short (ha) I got my laptop (Samsung QX410) checked up at best buy today. After couple minutes the geek squad member told me that my hdd is bad. After trusting what the person said I bought my self a new hdd. Did my Homework. Preps and booted win7 home prem on a usb. Installed everything. Now my grave is that I rushed and did not completely think and researched it through. So now my laptop is on the bare minimum and I cant fidure out how to make it run back before the hdd change. AFAIK or so I need to install a shit load of programs and things here but I have no idea what they are. Can someone please atleast point me to the right way? :c

Thank you very much~ <3
- Dan

Solution

Okay, my apologies. I'm going to write a list of all the drivers you should download from the page because from what I can see there are more than 4 that you need to download.

Download these drivers from the download page and only these: ALWAYS download the driver with the newest date!

Bluetooth (Driver) (ver.6.3.0.8800)
Chipset (Driver) (ver.9.1.1.1025)
Lan (Driver) (ver.11.29.1.3)
Sound(Audio) (Driver) (ver.6.0.1.6176)
Touchpad (Driver)...

Trave

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Can't understand what you just type.

So you got a laptop and some "geek squad member" told you that your HDD is bad? and you just replace it because someone tell you that its bad? so because of that you bought a new HDD and you install your OS using a Flash Drive, and then I don't understand what happen next.I thought you did your homework(research) on doing this? or do you mean school homework?

You need to redo this post to answer your question.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Was your machine still machine still running with the old hard drive in it? If so just put the old hard drive back in it write down what programs you had. Copy documents and important files to the flash drive. Put the new hard drive back in install all the programs you wrote down, and copy your documents and files over from the USB. Beyond that your post was so hard to understand like the previous poster said not sure exactly whats going on here.

Really need more details. Like was your computer completely dead when you took it to Geek sqaud or just running slow etc?

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
I'm sorry for being all over the place :c what I mean by homework is research and I did research but only up to the point to of installing the os. Everything beyond is something I did not think through and is now asking for help to share some knowledge to get it working properly. Very sorry thank you

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

It's hard to follow what your issue is exactly. From the sound of it, it sounds like you did everything right up until "So now my laptop is on the bare minimum." What does that mean?

Following the context clue of "can't figure out how to make it run back before the hdd change" I'm assuming you're trying to get the computer set up to the way it was before the hard drive switch.

Well, for starters, if you didn't back up any of your old data from the old defunct hard drive then all of that is gone. Forever. Unless you still have that old hard drive and are able to access files on it somehow, I mean... is the old hard drive completely broken or barely functional?

Secondly, I may also assume that you're talking about your computer not running like it did when it was brand new and out of the box. That's likely because when you removed the old hdd and replaced it, you've taken away all of the computer's drivers. Think of a computer driver as a driver of a car. And all the parts of your computer are cars. Your USB ports, your disc drive, your wireless internet adapter are all cars. And they need drivers to be able to run.

Fortunately for you, your computer is a manufactured brand from Samsung. You can most likely visit the support page on Samsung's website for your laptop and download all the drivers needed for your computer to run like it's supposed to.

I tried looking it up for you based on your Laptop's model. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP-QX410-J01US

That page should have all the drivers necessary for your laptop to run just like new. I recommend that when downloading these drivers, make a back up of all of them to put on a disc so that next time this happens, you'll be able to get your drivers back without the hassle.

Hope this helps.

This bit in particular is what you need to expand on so we can help you out.

What do you mean by "the bare minimum"?, are you missing programs, are you missing files, are features/things not working like they used to? Be specific and list what's not working and we can help you figure out how to get it back the way you want it.

What hasn't been mentioned by others, but I suspect may be your problem, is drivers. Drivers help Windows communicate with the specific hardware you have in your system. Often after install you'll need to go to the computer manufacturer's website and download any drivers that Windows hasn't been able to find on it's own.

Answer my questions above though and people will be able to help you out.

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
It want completely dead it was running really slow T-T and that's what I was asking for help I would like to know what are the dives and programs I need to copy from the old one to the new that would get it to sort of look and run like when I first got it. Very sorry again T-T

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

No need to apologize here. Just click the link in my post above to be taken to Samsung's product page for your computer. All the drivers necessary are available for download there.

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Yes I still do and it wasnt slow or anything its boot up time was like when I first got it but without everything that it came with

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Thank you! I would then download this and put this into a usb and copy and paste everything somewhere in the new hdd is what you're trying to say?

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

So you're saying the 1st hard drive you had just lost most of it's files/data? Also, have you tried the drivers solution yet? Here is the link again if it was missed the first time. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP-QX410-J01US

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

If you have Windows running successfully on the new hdd then yes, take these drivers and put them on the new hdd. While they are on the new hdd, run them (double click them) to install them to the new hdd. Soon after installing them all, your computer will pull itself together.

To explain this with more detail I'll say it this way:

1. Download the drivers to the USB stick.
2. Plug the USB stick into the Samsung computer and click and drag the drivers onto the desktop of the Samsung computer.
3. Run the drivers so that that install onto the Samsung computer.
4. After running them all, I'd suggest backing them up so you'll always have them in case this happens again.

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

No what I was trying to do in the first place was to replace the hdd with a new one. the 1st hdd is still usable but is very very slow. and thank you I saw it and looking through it currently

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Ah, so the old hard drive is still somewhat functional?

Well if you haven't backed any data up off of the old one and you still want to save data from it then there is still a chance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156051&cm_re=usb_to_sata%2fide_hard_drive_adapter-_-12-156-051-_-Product

That product allows you to plug one end into the old hdd, and the other end of the cable into a USB port on your computer. It'll act just like a USB stick drive. You'll be able to click and drag any files from the old one onto the new one. But be safe, if your old hdd became corrupt because of malware or viruses, you run the risk of bringing that trouble onto your new hdd. So be sure to run a virus scan on the old hdd before pulling anything off of it. I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, MalwareBytes or Avast! AntiVirus.

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
On the link you guys gave me I went onto the downloads tab and found four items. I finished downloading all of the and now currently transferring then unto a usb. once I finish that I would drag and drop then into the new hdd and run everything that that should fix my proble correct?

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Correct. May I ask what the four files you downloaded are? Because normally, there should be more than just 4 drivers to fill a whole computer. There should be maybe 6 or 8 by a minimum.

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

yes the old one is still useable just very slow at everything. so your saying that I could use the old hdd as an extra hard drive basically with the adapter? and thank you for the anti virus suggestion!

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

On the download section I picked the OS as windows 7 and it showed me four things on the driver section.
VGA(Graphics),INTEL (Driver) (ver.8.15.10.2182)
VGA(Graphics),INTEL (Driver) (ver.8.15.10.2202)
VGA(Graphics),NVIDIA (Driver) (ver.8.17.12.6672)
Wireless LAN,INTEL (Driver) (ver.14.1.1.3)

under the software and firmware tab it had this for win7
Intel Wireless Display (Software) (ver.1.2.20.0)
Update Software (Firmware) (ver.1.0.0.2)

should I download this also?

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Okay, my apologies. I'm going to write a list of all the drivers you should download from the page because from what I can see there are more than 4 that you need to download.

Download these drivers from the download page and only these: ALWAYS download the driver with the newest date!

Touchpad (Driver) (ver.2.6.0.0)

Those are the drivers you NEED.

There are also 3 WLAN drivers to choose from (WLAN is what allows your laptop to use wireless internet) but we need to know what kind of WLAN card your laptop uses before we know which driver to install.

Solution

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

You theoretically could use the old HDD as an extra hard drive, but because it is meant to be internal and has a bad history, I wouldn't recommend it.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

It's only showing you 4 drivers because you selected Windows 7 64bit only. Select Windows 7 64bit/32bit instead and then download these listed drivers:

Touchpad (Driver) (ver.2.6.0.0)

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
My apologies but I have to retire for the night Bluberry. I hope you'll be able to find further assistance from others here. If you're still having issues, feel free to send me a private message and I'll try and help you again tomorrow.

Goodnight for now though.

Bluberry

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

I was able to access the old hdd and here were the network adapters
Intel(R) Centrino (R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Intel(R) Centrino (R) WiMAX 6250
Marvell Yukon 88E8059 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2

TRENDING THREADS