[SOLVED] I didn't know the i7-10700K was coming out...

username4t

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
...I just bought an all-new computer two weeks ago with an i7-9700K. I got so excited about new computer that I forgot to check on upcoming developments.

I guess there's no question here, just waves of debilitating regret and self-loathing. If I'd waited just a couple of weeks...

Solution
Why so sick? Show me something the 9700k can't do that the 10700k can.

Can they both get fps results so high that they are beyond the ability of the monitor? Absolutely. Wouldn't make a hillbillies difference if the 9700k got 150fps and the 10700k got 1500fps, you get 144fps.

What's claimed in a benchmark has nothing much to do with reality, the 9700k is still a seriously impressive cpu in its own right and can handle anything.

Ignore the benchmarks, look at the screen, play your games. The only time it's going to make a difference is years from now when the 9700k is no different to an old i5 quad vrs the i7 quad+HT.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Can they both get fps results so high that they are beyond the ability of the monitor? Absolutely. Wouldn't make a hillbillies difference if the 9700k got 150fps and the 10700k got 1500fps, you get 144fps.

What's claimed in a benchmark has nothing much to do with reality, the 9700k is still a seriously impressive cpu in its own right and can handle anything.

Ignore the benchmarks, look at the screen, play your games. The only time it's going to make a difference is years from now when the 9700k is no different to an old i5 quad vrs the i7 quad+HT.

Solution

username4t

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016

Thanks. This is what I need to hear.

But it's a fact that the 10700 is in every way a little bit better -- uses a little less power, puts out a little less heat, runs a little faster, has more processing power -- for the same amount of money.

May 15, 2020
Thanks. This is what I need to hear.

But it's a fact that the 10700 is in every way a little bit better -- uses a little less power, puts out a little less heat, runs a little faster, has more processing power -- for the same amount of money.
Wait where did you read this? Its TDP is 125 vs 95 for the 9700. More TDP=more heat.

I don't think the 10700K will be drawing any less power or putting out any less heat than the 9700K. Both processors will be manufactured on the 14nm node using a very similar architecture, so power draw and heat output should be quite similar for most workloads.

And clock rates should be quite similar as well. The 10700K only boosts about 0.1 GHz higher, which shouldn't amount to more than a 2% difference in performance at tasks limited by CPU performance.

There is one notable addition though. The 10700K adds SMT (Hyperthreading), which makes it more similar to the i9-9900K. SMT allows two threads to more efficiently run on each core, allowing for more performance at heavily-multithreaded tasks utilizing more than 8 threads. Today's games don't really need that many threads though, so it's probably not that much of a concern at this time, and performance in today's games should be virtually identical between these processors. Perhaps a few years down the line, those extra threads might see more use in some of the next generation titles though. In workloads where those extra threads are utilized, it will of course be drawing more power and putting out more heat than a 9700K though.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Don't sweat it, of it weren't for benchmark numbers you would never notice any real world difference. If anything you should be a little pissed you would have saved a little money buying the same cpu after the new one released.

Also how have you not heard the new ones coming out soon. I am not even interested in Intel but I've been hearing of the next gen coming out for weeks from everywhere.