Question I disassembled my router - is it going to be okay?

vlad-kzm

Reputable
May 10, 2021
Yesterday my cat knocked over a can of coke and some of it went on top of the home router, there's some tiny ventilation holes on top so that's why I was worried.
So what do I do? I couldn't just leave it running waiting for it to short circ.
I opened up the router and took a good look inside, tried to look behind the circuit board without removing anything. Thankfully it seems like no liquid went inside.
So I put it back together and closed it again. Here's the thing, some of the cables inside were stuck to the board with these black foamy stickers. One of those came loose in the disassembly, the one that's like a plastic cable that comes from the optic fiber port to a big metal chip. Am I at risk of a short circuit or no?
Otherwise everything works fine, I did some tests. Would you change the router after this?

Lutfij

Titan
Anything that was covered in anti static tape, you can substitute it for 3M's Blue masking or any other painters masking tape to help prevent any shorting. You haven't included any images of the disassembly nor did you mention the make and model of the device(which is when we could go looking for it off Google and if it even has a tear down).

vlad-kzm

Reputable
May 10, 2021
Anything that was covered in anti static tape, you can substitute it for 3M's Blue masking or any other painters masking tape to help prevent any shorting. You haven't included any images of the disassembly nor did you mention the make and model of the device(which is when we could go looking for it off Google and if it even has a tear down).
Yeah, sorry I didn't take any pictures.
The router is a ZTE ZXHN F680, but if you Google it, you'll find different pictures that aren't the same model as mine.
Here's the closest picture that I found of the board, mine was almost identical I think.

View: https://imgur.com/a/RAI4zQR

See the little black tape that's holding down the white cable that goes from the optic fiber port to the big metal box? That little tape came loose for me..