[SOLVED] I do not think my computer is cooling well.

Jetrise

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2016
Hi All,

I am in search of advice in ways of reducing my computer CPU temps.

So, I had a few crashes recently and I had a thought that it could have been heat-related. I got speccy and had a look at CPU temps overtime and realised when playing games like ArmA, my average temp was in the high 80's or low 90's (NOT GOOD).

So, I immediately looked for solutions. I looked at the dust and oh god, was it bad. The entire radiator (I think that is what it's called), was full of dust. I have done a clean on that using a small brush to get it out and dealt with the mess. This has reduced it to the point in which it is only in the high 80's at most. However, still not great.

However, I noticed a few more things:

1. For the front fan (intake), I can feel cold air being pulled through. However, the smaller back fan, I cannot feel anything being dragged through. At least not hot air.
  2. I have never reapplied the thermal paste, baring in mind I got this computer in late 2015.
  3. Do I need a better CPU fan?

RE thermal paste, the reason why I haven't done it to date is two-fold, that being there hasn't been a requirement to do so, and two, I am very nervous on taking my computer apart. If I was to break my computer, I would be doomed. I am a student with limited funds.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PC Specs:
CPU: i7 4790k
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Mobo: GB Z97X Gaming 3
GPU: GTX 1060
RAM: 24GB
HDD: 2TB
SSD: 2 x 250GB
Fans: 1 x either 200mm or 220mm intake on front, one 120mm fan on cpu cooler, and one 120mm fan on extract

I can send a picture of my computer if required.

Solution
Take the side panel off the case once it is all cleaned and dusted out.

If you can, blow a desk fan at highest speed into the case.

If temps go down, you have poor airflow in the case. If temps remain the same, it's time to start addressing the cooler and mounting.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

If temps go down, you have poor airflow in the case. If temps remain the same, it's time to start addressing the cooler and mounting.

Solution

Jetrise

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2016

Thanks for your reply @rubix_1011 . I have done what you said in regards to blowing a fan on the side of the CPU. I done this for around ten minutes and didn't notice any temperature drops. I haven't changed the thermal paste in 5 years, would you suggest I do this?