Question I do not understand how this is possible

Sep 30, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to building PC's, and fixing them. I would not consider myself a professional of any means, but when my family members need a fix, I'm usually the one being called.
HOWEVER, I've encountered something I completely do not understand, and makes zero sense to me.

I built a gaming PC about a year ago, pretty good specs, (see end of post).

Here's what has happened.

Once built, the PC was working fine, everything runs smooth and fast. It was not until about 2 weeks ago, where my computer starts acting wierd. Initially it would just restart on me randomly. A day or two later, these restarts become more frequent, and now it's constantly freezing on me, when I surf Chrome, or play Dota or D2R. Sometimes I can go a full 1hr before it freezes, other times it would freeze within 5 min of starting a game.
I've run diagnostics on my RAM, CPU and my SSD, and windows did not find any problem. But the freezing kept persisting and now it's so frequent, I'm concerned it will continue to accellerate. Of course i want to avoid buying a whole new set of parts, so I start pulling hardware and testing them individually on my other rigs. So far no luck, until I did something as a hail mary to find out of my GPU was the actual issue, which of course is my most expensive component.

As my last ditch effort, I pulled the DP from my GPU and inserted it into the motherboard, thinking maybe it's be GPU locking up my PC (which I pray not). And was running on integrated graphics. Dota 2 was choppy, screen was 60hz. However, my PC is not locking up anymore, it's been operational for 8 hours straight with no freezing. So now I'm thinking it's my GPU that's the problem. I then opened up GeForce Experience, and performed a driver installation. Screen flickered a few times, and all of a sudden im back to 240 hz, and my games were running perfectly. But here's the thing, I never plugged in the DP directly into the GPU.

I ran heaven benchmark, and it was picking up the GPU graphics instead of integrated graphics. My PC still hasn't locked up or frozen for about 6 hours so far, running very strong. The GPU is still plugged into the PCI-E in the MOBO, but no monitors are plugged into the GPU.

How is this even possible?

Specs:
ASUS z490-v PRIME ATX MOBO
MSI RTX 3080
i7 - 10700k w/ 240 MM AOI cooler
32 GB G.Skill Trident 3000mhz RAM
850 NZXT Gold PSU
1TB NVME SSD Samsung EVO 970 (Operating)
1TB Western Digital NVME

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're underpowered for the build. Due to transient load spikes by the GPU, you're advised to have a 1.2KW or higher PSU to deal with the GPU drawing more power than it's supposed to on certain occasions. Are you using the PCIe connectors dasiychained to the GPU or are you running each individual PCIe connector from the PSU to the GPU?

As for your platform, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Reactions: rbadoux
Sep 30, 2022
Thanks Lutfij,

I've ordered a 1300w PSU since I stopped by BestBuy and see if that helps.

Each PCIe Connector is ran individually.

BIOS version is 1208 x64

I'll let you know if the PSU fixes it

The GPU is still plugged into the PCI-E in the MOBO, but no monitors are plugged into the GPU.

How is this even possible?
This is exactly how discrete nVidia graphics work in laptops--for power savings, the screen is always only connected to the IGP and the drivers pass through the signal to it only when higher performance is required. Given that you have a full-fat genuine GPU, the drivers may be smart enough to do the same.

Those mining-only GPUs with no display outputs are also used for gaming in this fashion, although these crippled cards require modified firmware and drivers to do the same. Presumably that just tricks the drivers into thinking they are running a setup like yours.

If it's not crashing at idle or non-heavy loads anymore, that may be due to the fact you are truly running off the IGP then, just like a laptop.

Sep 30, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're underpowered for the build. Due to transient load spikes by the GPU, you're advised to have a 1.2KW or higher PSU to deal with the GPU drawing more power than it's supposed to on certain occasions. Are you using the PCIe connectors dasiychained to the GPU or are you running each individual PCIe connector from the PSU to the GPU?

As for your platform, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?
---------------

Yeah it locked up again, with EVGA GT 1300W PSU, took a while longer this time, but still froze mid surfing the web and d2r running in the background

Thanks Lutfij,

I've ordered a 1300w PSU since I stopped by BestBuy and see if that helps.

Each PCIe Connector is ran individually.

BIOS version is 1208 x64

I'll let you know if the PSU fixes it

Did you use the cables that came with the EVGA, or the old ones with the NZXT? USe only the ones that come with the new PSU.

You might also look at a bios update for you mobo. Yours is quite oudated, and the newer ones may bring a possible fix for the issues you are facing.

The newest one is 1621, here: PRIME Z490-V|Motherboards|ASUS Global

Read through the notes and maybe begin doing the bios incremently to bring it up to the most recent one. I'm pretty sure Asus don't need to do that (as in, you should be able to just update the latest bios with out doing every single one individually), but check the notes to be sure.

Sep 30, 2022
Did you use the cables that came with the EVGA, or the old ones with the NZXT? USe only the ones that come with the new PSU.

You might also look at a bios update for you mobo. Yours is quite oudated, and the newer ones may bring a possible fix for the issues you are facing.

The newest one is 1621, here: PRIME Z490-V|Motherboards|ASUS Global

Read through the notes and maybe begin doing the bios incremently to bring it up to the most recent one. I'm pretty sure Asus don't need to do that (as in, you should be able to just update the latest bios with out doing every single one individually), but check the notes to be sure.

Just updated my BIOS to the latest version 1621, I got some extended stability which lasted 2 hours, then it croaked on me again. I'm lost, very close to taking this into Microcenter for a costly repair :(

Just updated my BIOS to the latest version 1621, I got some extended stability which lasted 2 hours, then it croaked on me again. I'm lost, very close to taking this into Microcenter for a costly repair :(

Did you 'clear CMOS' after the bios update. This will be important. You should do this before brining to repair centre.

When the bios is update you have to clear CMOS to be sure any remnants of microcode left over from previous bios is wiped.

If that doesn't fix it, then maybe it's worth brining to repair centre.

Sep 30, 2022
Did you 'clear CMOS' after the bios update. This will be important. You should do this before brining to repair centre.

When the bios is update you have to clear CMOS to be sure any remnants of microcode left over from previous bios is wiped.

If that doesn't fix it, then maybe it's worth brining to repair centre.

I think you did it my friend. So far 8 hours long stable. Fingers crossed

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead