I don’t know if I’m able to use my gpu

Sep 8, 2018
I bought this Asrock z77 extreme6 motherboard and I can’t get my gtx 770 to work in it. I’ve gone into my bios and changed the north ridge connection to pci-e and updated my bios. I’m kind of new to messing with bios and motherboards and don’t super know what else I can do. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/ If anybody can tell me based on that why I can’t use it or if I can, how that would be wonderful

Solution

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
So nothing happens when you hook up your gpu? And does it work without the gpu? Also have you updated your bios?

You changed the north bridge to pcie. I've never had to do that. I would be kinda curious what it was on before. But I don't think that's your issue.

I'm also assuming it was a used motherboard. If someone isnt here to give you another idea. You may want to try resetting the cmos. (Unplug the pc and pull the little battery out for 5 mins) At least if that doesnt work you can check it off the list.

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Agreed. Just falling asleep. That's why I jumped ahead to the cmos. I know it's a global forum. Just wasnt sure how many people are on at this time. I'm not an expert either. Just can usually figure out the problem.

Sep 8, 2018

Yes I updated bios. Yes it works with the onboard graphics. Gpu doesn’t even show up when I plug it into either pci-e slot. If I don’t get any other decent suggestions I’ll orobably go through with resetting the cmos. I just had a one use copy of windows 10 and don’t want to lose it.

There is no trick for this. You have two PCI Express 3.0 x 16 slots. The GTX 770 should work in either without forcing it to the PCI Express x 16 slot. The GTX 770 has a system requirement of 600 watts and requires a 6-pin and 8-pin PCIE power cables to be connected to the graphics card. Also make sure that the monitor cable is plugged into the graphics card.

With the GTX 770 installed (and the graphics source forced to integrated and monitor cable plugged into motherboard video out) open the Windows Device Manager. Then look under display adapter. Does the GTX 770 show up? If so, then go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers and download and install the latest graphics driver for the GTX 770. Choose the custom install with the clean install option.

If the GTX 770 doesn't show up in the Device Manager under display adapter, then you have a device recognition problem. Try the other PCIE x 16 slot. Try updating the motherboard drivers. Try reinstalling Windows. Try updating the BIOS.

If it still isn't showing up, try installing the GTX 770 in another working system, and verify that the graphics card is functional.

Solution