[SOLVED] I dont even know how to Name this thread (wireless)

lapdog33

Commendable
Jan 20, 2020
Not sure if this is the right sub forum but here it is: I am moving in couple days and untill my new ISP gets to my new living location (can take up to 10 days) i wont have internet. (on my desktop - i dont have laptop)

i ve been wonrdering how can i have access to internet in the meantime. is it Wireless adapter? USB adapter? i am stoneage when it comes to this specific area of PC universe

i am looking for a easy,cheap and fast solution.

Quality of the internert, down speed upseed etc doesnt need to be very good or even good. As long as i can use it to watch youtube in 720p or netflix i m golden (or play some games casually , like CK3 or Turn based strategies)

i have: x1 Mobile phone , it has its own "internet" , im not sure how many GBs it has , nothing too fancy i am certain
x1 Tablet , and it too has its own Monthly GB package

is it possible to somehow use those mentioned devices (or alternatively other people's Wifi in the same building, like from a regular desktop PC) in combination with some kind of network adapter or i dont know, anything?

i have no idea will i be able to find anyone in the new building who would be willling to share their internet with me , so thats Alternative solution*

Solution
If you don't have an ISP you can't connect to the internet unless you can find a neighbor that you are in range of their wifi that will let you connect to theirs. However, if you have a cell phone plan, preferably with unlimited data, you could use it as a hotspot and connect to it. You just need to make sure your desktop has a wireless network card. If not you could buy a USB wifi adapter to use until your isp installs your internet.

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
If you don't have an ISP you can't connect to the internet unless you can find a neighbor that you are in range of their wifi that will let you connect to theirs. However, if you have a cell phone plan, preferably with unlimited data, you could use it as a hotspot and connect to it. You just need to make sure your desktop has a wireless network card. If not you could buy a USB wifi adapter to use until your isp installs your internet.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

lapdog33

Commendable
Jan 20, 2020
ok so if my phone has 50GB , are those 50GBs being spent at the same rate as if i were using them up directly on my phone (whatever the math for that is , like 1 movie in 1080p is maybe 1GB approx)

It all depends on what the ISP means when they say "50GB". Would be nice if you didn't even have to ask silly questions and assume nobody is making up their own definition of words.

Hotspot usage is considered tethered. Many ISP plans have different limits for data used on the end device itself and device connected to it remotely. Just read the fine print.

In general video will take the same amount at the same resolution not matter where you watch it. Not sure where you get the 1GB for 1080. Netflix and other similar vendors quote about 2-3GB/hr when you run 1080p. 720 is closer to 1GB.

Be very careful when running a desktop. I would actually disconnect the internet when you are not using it. Many web pages constantly pull advertising data even when the web page is just sitting there. The worst offender play video ads. A adblocker will likely greatly reduce your data usage on web browsing.

Not sure if this is the right sub forum but here it is: I am moving in couple days and untill my new ISP gets to my new living location (can take up to 10 days) i wont have internet. (on my desktop - i dont have laptop)

i ve been wonrdering how can i have access to internet in the meantime. is it Wireless adapter? USB adapter? i am stoneage when it comes to this specific area of PC universe

i am looking for a easy,cheap and fast solution.

Quality of the internert, down speed upseed etc doesnt need to be very good or even good. As long as i can use it to watch youtube in 720p or netflix i m golden (or play some games casually , like CK3 or Turn based strategies)

i have: x1 Mobile phone , it has its own "internet" , im not sure how many GBs it has , nothing too fancy i am certain
x1 Tablet , and it too has its own Monthly GB package

is it possible to somehow use those mentioned devices (or alternatively other people's Wifi in the same building, like from a regular desktop PC) in combination with some kind of network adapter or i dont know, anything?

i have no idea will i be able to find anyone in the new building who would be willling to share their internet with me , so thats Alternative solution*

You could likely use your phone as a mobile hotspot if there is coverage. (Turns your phone into an internet router) HOWEVER lag will be high and it will EAT through your data if you watch videos. You can eat your monthly bandwidth watching videos in 30 minutes easy on most plans.

Sadly you'll have to wait unless you want to pay a boat load for those 10 days.