[SOLVED] I don't even know where to start (Laptop issue/graphics/CPU

May 20, 2020
Hello,

I'm pretty new here so I hope I'm posting correctly.

I've always had this issue since i bought the laptop, almost any game would 100% GPU and high CPU, temperatures over 95+, I assume that's when thermal throttling kicks and kills my fps.
I will post some pictures here and hopefully, I can at least slightly decrease these numbers. As a simple experiment I just left the game without touching any controls and it hovers around 60 frames at one point and then every minute it goes to 10 for several seconds, now I'm not sure why this happens sporadically, even though i don't press anything.

https://ibb.co/qDhD9yS Pic1 60 FPS
https://ibb.co/CvbS487 Pic2 11 FPS

I will add 2 more pics, probably doesn't tell anything new but just in case:

https://ibb.co/nCYJBMj

Now, I know this is vague and all but I am willing to do any tests you might now and give you all the details, I know there's a lot of bits and pieces, I just don't know where to start, please advise.

Much appreciated!!

Andrew

Solution
Just curious what thermal paste you used? Best non conductive is Thermal grizzly kryonaut. If you want to open it again there might be some easier mods you can make. Like conducting heat from certain chips to backplate / frontplate.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your temps are very high, and I suspect you are right.

A few things I suggest, the first I hope you are already doing, but canned air dusting of all vents etc. Would possibly consider one of the "cooler pads" with fans that you can place your laptop on. I make an assumption that these temps were in relation to the laptop being on a hard surface and unobstructed air flow....
Third I might recommend just trying to lower settings. I may have missed you saying you did that.

May 20, 2020
Thank you for the fast reply.
It is sitting on a cooler pad, turned off at the moment, 3 fans, very low potential out of them but it's a mesh/grate type of stand so, yes, the air is unobstructed.
I ordered thermal paste a few days back and while i was opening it, one screw got completely stripped, so I've ordered a small electric screwdriver where i can also mount a drill, in order to get rid of the screw.
The fans looked very clean when i checked but even with repasting, I don't know if that will be enough.

The settings part is weird, I think the witcher pics are on LOW when i took them but when i turned settings to Ultra i kinda get the same results.
Even on Ultra, the game behaves normally, and then for a couple of seconds, every 1 or 2 minutes, FPS goes very low.

May 20, 2020
Fan is not working correctly, its showing very low usage with high temperatures, either wrong reporting, can you hear it running high speed? Might be already dead completely or blocked with dust

Hi,

Alright, now i noticed it too, GPU fan doesn't register there.
Installed Argus monitor, SpeedFan, HWMonitor, none of them shows me any fans. Argus monitor, in one screenshot example, has a tab Motherboard which seems not to be present on mine, in case this helps.

I can hear the fans, could it be just the CPU one, probably not cause then I'm sure my laptop would've crashed by now. They seem to be working normally when playing they start revving at max speed, the problem is, even now, while I am writing this and listening to some music, they are spinning very fast.

Just curious what thermal paste you used? Best non conductive is Thermal grizzly kryonaut. If you want to open it again there might be some easier mods you can make. Like conducting heat from certain chips to backplate / frontplate.

Solution