[SOLVED] I don't have secure boot turned on but health check tool says my system can run Windows 11 ?

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
I thought of joining the windows insider program in one of my systems, the beta or preview channel to receive latest stable-ish builds. So I turned the TPM settings on in BIOS, and ran the PC health check tool, it says that my PC can run windows 11. I am currently running Win 10 version 21H1, and didn't receive any update in either the Beta channel or the Preview channel. So out of curiosity, I switched to the Dev channel to see if my insider program is working, and when I checked for updates, it started to download the Windows 11 build. I switched back to Beta channel mid download and cancelled it. As I don't want the Dev channel Windows 11 build, will try it out once it hits the Beta channel.

So my question is, when the 11 update eventually hits the Beta channel, would I be able to install Windows 11 without secure boot on ? As it was being downloaded in the Dev channel. I know that ineligible systems get moved to the Beta channel from the Dev channel. Didn't happen to me.

Mobo: MSI A320M Pro VH Plus
TPM 2.0 Enabled, BIOS mode UEFI in System Information, Secure Boot off, SSD partition is GPT
Ryzen 5 3600

Solution
So my question is, when the 11 update eventually hits the Beta channel, would I be able to install Windows 11 without secure boot on ?
we don't know.

My pc passes the test and doesn't have Secure boot on, so I guess we find out when it comes time to install it. I am not talking about beta channel, I mean October.

Win 11 a Work in Progress, we don't know what next build will include.

You could ask on here - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...st-type/thread/board-id/WindowsInsiderProgram but they wouldn't know either. Only MS knows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So my question is, when the 11 update eventually hits the Beta channel, would I be able to install Windows 11 without secure boot on ?
we don't know.

My pc passes the test and doesn't have Secure boot on, so I guess we find out when it comes time to install it. I am not talking about beta channel, I mean October.

You could ask on here - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...st-type/thread/board-id/WindowsInsiderProgram but they wouldn't know either. Only MS knows.

Solution

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
we don't know.

Thanks for your answer. I wonder what would have happened if I had let the download continue in the Dev channel. Would it stop mid way or fail to install..idk

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its a mystery, it would depend if upgrades have to pass the secure boot test right now, since its still the dev build it isn't finished yet. Newer versions of the os will likely have more restrictions. Or they won't put those in place until its almost finished.

We don't know how advanced they were before making it live to test. How many years they been making win 11? possibly a few now.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Its a mystery, it would depend if upgrades have to pass the secure boot test right now, since its still the dev build it isn't finished yet. Newer versions of the os will likely have more restrictions. Or they won't put those in place until its almost finished.

We don't know how advanced they were before making it live to test. How many years they been making win 11? possibly a few now.
Well I have upgraded to Windows 11 since it's live on the Beta channel now. Was okay, secure boot wasn't an issue.