[SOLVED] I don't know how explain this.

Sep 1, 2019
I took my parts from my old PC and put it onto a new mother board the old parts I have are the cpu i5 8600 and toshiba dt01aca100 hard drive it has alot of things stored on it.

My current specs are i5 8600k cpu, Toshiba DT01ACA100 hard drive, B360M VH PRO mother board, MSI 710 1gb VGA card, Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory RAM, corsair cx450 power supply.

I tried booting my PC up from any source. The usb doesn't work, screen turns black forever. The only thing that boots the PC is the windows boot manager I have to wait roughly 15 min and then it asks me to press any key to skip automatic repair, if I press it it puts me into windows lockscreen. Than if log in it says activate windows (I had full license on the old one) and the taskbar has nothing on it only the windows 10 logo and the only way I can access file explorer is through task manager. If I open any life or folder file explorer crashes. If I wait about 3 hours things go back to normal but I can only access settings and any browser, file explorer still crashes.

Thank you for your time.
If my explanation is unclear I can send you pictures of the monitor while it's booting via email if you have any idea how to fix this.

Solution
Did old PC come with WIn 10 or did you upgrade it to win 10 from win 7/8? If it came with Win 10, you won't be able to move the licence as Toshiba have special licenses that only work on their PC. You might need to buy win 10 again to get it activated on new motherboard

If it was upgraded from 7/8 you may be able to reuse licence on new motherboard - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

you going to want to put hdd into another PC and copy everything off it that you want to save

then, yes, clean install as you essentially have a brand new PC and the drivers on hdd don't match those needed to run the new motherboard

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did old PC come with WIn 10 or did you upgrade it to win 10 from win 7/8? If it came with Win 10, you won't be able to move the licence as Toshiba have special licenses that only work on their PC. You might need to buy win 10 again to get it activated on new motherboard

If it was upgraded from 7/8 you may be able to reuse licence on new motherboard - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

you going to want to put hdd into another PC and copy everything off it that you want to save

then, yes, clean install as you essentially have a brand new PC and the drivers on hdd don't match those needed to run the new motherboard

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Reactions: TheFinalStage
Solution