I don't know how to ground myself?

Fishikaint

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I live in an apartment so I am in no direct contact to the ground. I can only build In a carpet surface, and I'm afraid of damaging my parts. I don't think I have any ground sockets ( will a three plug do?) and am also wondering if an anti static wrist band is necessary? This is my first build, and I've already bought my parts. So in summary what can I do to reliably ground my self? do I need an anti static strap? And where can I get them?

Solution
avoid wearing clothing made from synthetic fibres too. plastics, when friction is applied can create static electricity. best way to make sure you are grounded when pc building, in my experience, is to install psu in the case and connect to the mains making sure that the psu switch and mains socket switch are off. as you are builing the pc keep contacting yourself with the grounded metal parts of the case or psu. don't connect any power to the motherboard or graphics card or anything else until everything is in place and that way you can't accidentally power up during installation. above all don't worry too much. i do most of my pc builds drunk and don't have any problems :)

HeyyScott

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Don't wear socks ( obviously ). Touch something metallic before touching your parts. Place your parts on top of the boxes that arrive with them / place them on a table. Anti-static wrist band is not necessary unless you are too paranoid, long as you be cautious.

Fishikaint

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Well I have a wooden table ON the carpet

taylor225

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

thats fine as long as your arent building the actual pc on carpet

oli_f

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
avoid wearing clothing made from synthetic fibres too. plastics, when friction is applied can create static electricity. best way to make sure you are grounded when pc building, in my experience, is to install psu in the case and connect to the mains making sure that the psu switch and mains socket switch are off. as you are builing the pc keep contacting yourself with the grounded metal parts of the case or psu. don't connect any power to the motherboard or graphics card or anything else until everything is in place and that way you can't accidentally power up during installation. above all don't worry too much. i do most of my pc builds drunk and don't have any problems :)

Solution