I don't know how to update bios, need some help!

neoroify

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hi, my motherboard is GA-880GM-USB3L, I recently had trouble with my graphic card, so I thought maybe I need to upgrade my BIOS? dunno.. but I will give it a try anyways

So I went to gigabyte's website and selected my product then went to support & download and picked the download type to BIOS and a few versions appeared

One of them is F5 along with this description: Update CPU AGESA 1.1.0.2

According to DxDiag my current BIOS is Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-880GM-USB3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

My question now, is how to actually upgrade it?? I downloaded that F5 version and extracted a file called 880GMB3L.F5

How to use that file for bios update?? any help would be appreciated also put in mind I am new to bios troubleshoots so I will need a step-by-step guide to update my motherboard bios, thanks..!

Solution
Check in your MOBO manual, or online PDF from Gig. With GIgabyte boards, there is usually a way to flash it by putting your bios on a USB flash drive (or on the hard drives), then boot into the BIOS and use a built-in flasher, like this:

"What is Q-Flash™
Q-Flash is a BIOS flash utility embedded in Flash ROM. With Q-Flash you can update the system BIOS without having to enter operating systems like MS-DOS or Windows first.
(Not all motherboards support Q-Flash™, please use @BIOS™ or DOS flash utility to update BIOS if your motherboard does not have Q-Flash™.)
Features
With this utility, you can access Q-Flash by either pressing <End> key during the POST or pressing the <F8> key in BIOS setup menu. No need to enter...

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Check in your MOBO manual, or online PDF from Gig. With GIgabyte boards, there is usually a way to flash it by putting your bios on a USB flash drive (or on the hard drives), then boot into the BIOS and use a built-in flasher, like this:

"What is Q-Flash™
Q-Flash is a BIOS flash utility embedded in Flash ROM. With Q-Flash you can update the system BIOS without having to enter operating systems like MS-DOS or Windows first.
(Not all motherboards support Q-Flash™, please use @BIOS™ or DOS flash utility to update BIOS if your motherboard does not have Q-Flash™.)
Features
With this utility, you can access Q-Flash by either pressing <End> key during the POST or pressing the <F8> key in BIOS setup menu. No need to enter operating systems like MS-DOS or Windows first.
Caution
Before using Q-Flash utility, go to GIGABYTE website to download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file to your floppy disk, USB flash drive, or hard drive. And be noted that the USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.
Warning:
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction."

from http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/121/tech_qflash.htm

Solution
video card problems don't sound like it would be a BIOS problem. how's about we try and figure that out?

the BIOS, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

gigabyte has an auto update tool that may or may not work with your board? don't know. if you decide to try it and it works, uninstall tool because it has a tendency to seek out every time you reboot machine. it also creates everyday, real time hitches and slow ups.

neoroify

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

It gone pretty much well, I am not sure how to verify it but when my PC booted it said AMD Update ................. Update successful (something like that)

So I guess the process was overall successful, I will update my GPU drivers now and see if it does the same problem, I will invest 6 hours playing each game and test if the problem persists, because if it does I will then have to replace/give it back.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay. To check, you just have to go into the BIOS at boot (when you see the POST screen, either a gigabyte image of some sort, or the post dialogs in text, press DEL (and hold it on some Gig boards)), to get into the BIOS. Then you can look around for information, I think that while you are in the main menu in the BIOS, press F9 on some Gig boards will bring up an information summary, and it shows your current BIOS revision.

Like Swifty said earlier, I have a strong suspicion that your video problem is due to something else. What are your symptoms ?? (if you are still experiencing them).