[SOLVED] I dont know what im doing with storage, advice would be amazing.

Jun 5, 2020
Ok, so hear me out!
I've been onto computers for a bit now, building my first one when I was 16 (where I obviously made a lot of mistakes), but recently upgraded and made (probably) fewer mistakes.
One thing I've never really understood or put the time to research into is storage.
and after upgrading my motherboard and CPU I'm assuming the only thing bottlenecking my PC is my storage setup. what is a good setup for storage? I don't mind wiping all my current hard drives and fresh downloading everything if it makes it any easier.
Also, if there are any components that are bottlenecking that isn't the storage let me know for future upgrades :)

Based on my PC specs, I would have assumed it should all run pretty fast, but loading files and such can be quite slow (respectively of course). Here are my PC specs:
GPU: GTX Strix ROG 1070
CPU: Coffee Lake i7 9700KF
MB: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro wifi
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB (Clean and uninstalled as waiting for advice from some smart folk like you)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006 2TB (basically everything I currently have on this)
Ram: Corsair 16gb (2x8) DDR4 1066Mhz.

I'm open to having fingers pointing out stuff wrong with my system, as I know I definitely made mistakes, I'm an ecology and biodiversity major so it's definitely not my strongest point haha.
Any advice would be amazing <3
Thanks heaps
-Matthew

Solution
OS and applications on the SSD. Maybe a few games.
All else that does not really need that speed or does not fit, on the HDD.

How much space is consumed on your current HDD? Maybe, possibly...a clone operation to move it all over to the SSD, without a full reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
OS and applications on the SSD. Maybe a few games.
All else that does not really need that speed or does not fit, on the HDD.

How much space is consumed on your current HDD? Maybe, possibly...a clone operation to move it all over to the SSD, without a full reinstall.

Solution