Question I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I am trying to overclock to 4.9-5.0GHz with my CPU.
I ramped all my fans to 100%
But I am still getting 70-80 sometimes the high 80s to 90s on temps.
What am I getting wrong?
CPU is 49-55 in idle temps.

Build:
Deepcool Matrexx 55 with 6 Deepcool CF120 fans (3 in the front pulling in air 1 on the back and 2 on top pushing out air)
Intel i5-9600k
Deepcool Gammaxx GT air cooler
Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (8x2)
MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming

Reactions: Luke H./
Jan 6, 2020
I am trying to overclock to 4.9-5.0GHz with my CPU.
I ramped all my fans to 100%
But I am still getting 70-80 sometimes the high 80s to 90s on temps.
What am I getting wrong?
CPU is 49-55 in idle temps.

Build:
Deepcool Matrexx 55 with 6 Deepcool CF120 fans (3 in the front pulling in air 1 on the back and 2 on top pushing out air)
Intel i5-9600k
Deepcool Gammaxx GT air cooler
Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (8x2)
MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming
This is perfectly normal, especially running that high of a clock with the air cooler you have. If the chip is reaching 70-80°c on a stress test I'd say that is a pretty good result.

Your cooler is a 150w cooler. A 9600k at 5ghz pulls upwards of 180w. The fact you're keeping as cool as you are is surprisingly good.

If you want cooler temps you'll need a more capable cooler.

So you're probably not doing anything wrong. You are expecting more out of your cooler than it can give unfortunately.

Reactions: AlfaM03
But is it safe running at about 80-90°C say for example a game? Thanks for all your replies.
Low 80’s is hotter than you really want but is technically safe. High 80’s to 90c is too hot.

Did you manually overclock? Have you tried less voltage? Your idle temperatures suggest you have too much voltage. Don’t worry about air vs water, water is not automatically better. However you current cooler is fairly basic for this level of overclocking.

Reactions: Phaaze88

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Low 80’s is hotter than you really want but is technically safe. High 80’s to 90c is too hot.

Did you manually overclock? Have you tried less voltage? Your idle temperatures suggest you have too much voltage. Don’t worry about air vs water, water is not automatically better. However you current cooler is fairly basic for this level of overclocking.
What is the best software to overclock and change voltage. I am having a hard time looking for specific instructions which I could follow step by step. I am using an Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming and a i5-9600k. I haven't touched my voltage settings when I overclock to 5.0GHz. Any suggestions on what I should do?

What is the best software to overclock and change voltage. I am having a hard time looking for specific instructions which I could follow step by step. I am using an Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming and a i5-9600k. I haven't touched my voltage settings when I overclock to 5.0GHz. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Best is to do everything in the BIOS and not to use software. Google overclocking guides for your motherboard and the 9600k. I’d recommend do some reading before any overclocking. It’s not hard but it’s also something you want to research and take your time with. It’s a big topic and there will be more information available by searching than what anyone can put in a single post here.

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Best is to do everything in the BIOS and not to use software. Google overclocking guides for your motherboard and the 9600k. I’d recommend do some reading before any overclocking. It’s not hard but it’s also something you want to research and take your time with. It’s a big topic and there will be more information available by searching than what anyone can put in a single post here.
Alright got a stable overclock on 5.0GHz at 1.4v. Next question: is it healthy to run it on 5.0 on 1.4 everyday even for my basic tasks and not gaming?

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
1.4v is generally considered as high as you want to go, did you try slightly lower voltage? What are temperatures like under high load?
tried doing a 1.390 and a 1.395 on 5.0. Then ran Prime95. It'd crash every time. Was able to finish Prime95 using 1.4 on 5.0. Suprisingly cool when playing though. Which is weird. Getting 60s-70s using the MSI Afterburner OSD