I don't know what kind of wireless n adapter I need, can you help?

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hi,

I am getting this router.

ASUS RT-N56U Wireless Router Dual Band Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit 802.11a/b/g/n 300Mbps support USB Storage, Print and Media Server (top performance review at smallnetbuilder.com)

I have an old HP Pavilion 9870 that I'd like to connect to that router, but I'm not sure if I need a USB adapter (like this one) or a PCI adapter (like this one). Here are the specs on my HP Pavilion 9870 and it's MOBO.

Motherboard Description Manufacture name: ASUS P4T

HP/Compaq Name: Alacatraz

MOBO information

What shipped in box

I don't know which adapter will work with this MOBO or how to tell, can someone help me out?

Another option would be something like this NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit. Seems kinda cool, but I just don't know if my power outlets and electrical wiring are all part of the same electrical system...which I guess they have to be for this powerline adapter to work. Besides, the other adapter options are a lot cheaper.

Thanks,
-TG

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Hey, thanks for the quick response.

This adapter would be for my old HP 9870 PC, so I don't think I need streaming media speed...but at the same time, I'd like to be able to use it on something else later. I don't know if I'll want the 150Mbps over a 300Mbps. If that USB would for sure work, I think I'd like to get one of the following USB adapters (I like the USB over the PCI...plus, the PCI adapters are more expensive and harder to switch around between different machines).

TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter High Gain IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates Support 64/128 bit WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, Wireless MAC Filtering The only thing I don't like about this one is the only 150Mbps speeds as opposed to the following ASUS with 300 Mnps speeds.

This TP-LINK has outstanding reviews and comes with thisTP-LINK UC100 USB Cradle in a combo deal ($9.99) for free.

ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates

I like the 300Mbps speeds of the ASUS (as well as the black color) for $9.99 too.

So, if you are sure a USB will work, which one would you recommend?