Question I don't know what popped in my PC! Help!

ShrekJesus

Commendable
Mar 20, 2019
I was in the middle of a scav run in tarkov when my screen suddenly flashed white, then promptly turned off. I looked right to my PC, where in the glow of the RGB light on my mobo, I saw smoke rising out of my case. I immediately suspected my graphics card. I pulled it out and it was hot, HOT to the touch. By this point, my whole room was filled with that burnt plastic shitty smell, but I gave the card the ol' smell test and it didn't really smell all that different to me. The inside of the case smells like the asphalt of a drag strip. I booted my computer off the igpu and everything seemed fine, but I just potentially blew my originally close to $700 gpu and I didn't really want to screw anything else up, so I turned off the PC as well as my surge protector. If anyone knows a better way to troubleshoot this than the old sniffer I'd be very appreciative of your help.

Ok nothing stands out as a weak item. As it boots off igpu that pretty much rules out motherboard failure. I’d be looking at psu or gpu. You have a good psu but even the best can fail. If you have a spare psu I’d start with changing this and then trying the gpu again.

ShrekJesus

Commendable
Mar 20, 2019
I'd hazard to guess that a VRM burnt up on the GPU can you see any visible burn marks? Given that there was alot of smoke there has to be a burn mark somewhere but it maybe hidden by a backplate or heatsink.
I can disassemble the cooler on it and give it a look? It also might be important (I know it is duh) to mention that a couple of months ago, the middle fan on the gpu's cooler completely fell off. It was making a horrible noise like it was hitting the heat fins and I poked it only for it to fall out.

ShrekJesus

Commendable
Mar 20, 2019
Ok nothing stands out as a weak item. As it boots off igpu that pretty much rules out motherboard failure. I’d be looking at psu or gpu. You have a good psu but even the best can fail. If you have a spare psu I’d start with changing this and then trying the gpu again.
Putting the gpu back in won't cause any issues with the other components?

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Is there any particular reason this would have happened other than the gigabyte gods smiting me?
You said before, that one of the fans was dead, right?

It also might be important (I know it is duh) to mention that a couple of months ago, the middle fan on the gpu's cooler completely fell off. It was making a horrible noise like it was hitting the heat fins and I poked it only for it to fall out.
Hm hm hm, what could be the reason of card frying..... no idea.... :sneaky:

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
A component failed, It unfortunately happens for no rhyme or reason. I doubt there was anything you could have done to prevent it. Possible it could have been related to the fan issue if a fan caused an overdraw but that would require a much more intimate knowledge of the cards circuitry than I have.

ShrekJesus

Commendable
Mar 20, 2019
You said before, that one of the fans was dead, right?

Hm hm hm, what could be the reason of card frying..... no idea.... :sneaky:
After this happened, I observed the temperatures of it running under load for an hour and they were completely adequate. The middle fan only goes over some of the copper piping bridging the two heatsinks together

ShrekJesus

Commendable
Mar 20, 2019
A component failed, It unfortunately happens for no rhyme or reason. I doubt there was anything you could have done to prevent it. Possible it could have been related to the fan issue if a fan caused an overdraw but that would require a much more intimate knowledge of the cards circuitry than I have.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

ShrekJesus

Commendable
Mar 20, 2019
I just found a Reddit thread detailing how this is a common issue. They posted an imgur gallery with a bunch of pictures of the same failure I had, and they all happened within the last 2 months.