I dont know what to do ....

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Soo basically i told my family that i'm going to build a pc and start learning programming. Soo i built my pc and i tired doing some programming. i did it for 2 weeks and i have to say its boring as hell. And now my family is really mad at me because i dont do it. Soo do you know guys any ideas that would be interesting and "impressive"?

Solution
Check this out: http://modthesims.info/ (If you're not into Sims, that's fine, it's just an example.) This is all stuff done by people who just decided they wanted to change how something in the game looked, or how their Sims behaved, or they wanted to add an item that didn't exist before, or to convert an object from some other game. So they taught themselves and each other how to make and manipulate 3D models, textures and bits of code to get the results they wanted. Some of them even sell the content they create.

Is there a game you like that you've always wished contained a particular item or option that isn't there? Google and see whether there's a modding community for that game. You may be able to learn how to add it...

USAFRet

Titan

2 whole weeks.

'Programming' doesn't work like that.
You have to crawl before you can walk. Running comes several years later.

ikaz

Distinguished
yeah you need to find something you like if your just doing something to "do it" because it sounds cool then your never going to learn. It also best to have goals learning to program isn't really a goal you can get behind. So if you want make games try creating txt based games or even download a some game making software that requires little to none programming (like rpg maker). If you get into it you will probably run into things you want to do but will need to learn programming to get around the problem so it will motivate you to learn more.

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Since you just started learning how to program trying to create a game, as others have suggested, is probably out of your league. To get started you should pick up a beginner's programming book or hit up website geared toward training people how to program, like Codecademy.com.

If you need some suggestions on what book you should pick up feel free to ask. Though, it might help us out if you let us know what exactly you are trying to accomplish by learning to program. Are you looking to make a website? Make a game? Make desktop programs? etc.

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

I Actually picked a a programming book for learners and read liek 150 pages of it, and the problem is that i got borred ...

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

I wanted to to have an "okay" pc to you know, do some work then take a break. and climb up that ladder, but i really dont have a good pc. It has integrated gpu ...

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

I know, so that what i did. i was working with a book its a programming i think its was c++ or something and its for learners. i read about 150 pages and i got bored. like i dont know if programming is for me, i though tho

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

What i learned is basically to make a program that you type in your name and it basically says hi. thats it and i got bored

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

What program do i use? for noobs :D

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Okay, lets say i love playign video games, it was part of my life and now i basically cant, because my family says "if you play video games youre never going to get a job"... whatever

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

And you say that in comes in years. but what if i dont find interest in it in days?

USAFRet

Titan
Programming is hard.

Consider the seemingly simple game, Angry Birds.
That took a team of 10-20 people, experienced in mobile game design, more than a year to create.

All this stuff on the screen looks easy. It isn't.
But we ALL started out with a simple "Hello World". Just making those words appear on the screen for the first time brings a smile.

But embrace these 3 words:
Design Code Test
You can't start Coding anything until you you Design it.

Now...what is it that YOU wish to start making?

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Now, You Sir,,,, Have to tell ME that.

USAFRet

Titan

Make a stick figure walk across the screen.

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

alright :D What program to use? and what if i get bored? I dont know man. all i did in life is play video games and i was happy. D:

ikaz

Distinguished
Well if you like games and that's the reason why you want to look into programming, then first figure what aspect of games interest you, like my example above if you like RPG's then start with a game system like RPG maker. You maybe get into telling a story and for that you maybe want get better with knowing history, English etc that way you still do what you like and I'm sure your parent would be happy with you perusing English (of whatever your language is). If you like art and have some skills learn skills with photoshop, gimp, etc understand color wheels etc. you can learn how to create textures for games and maybe concept art. If your into math then you can get hardcore into game engines I'm sure your parent wouldn't mind you getting better at math.

Really there are lots of skill other than strait programming that are required to make a good game, if you like 1st person shooters try downloading a game like say unreal and try to create levels using Unreal editor. Like 2d fighting games look into Mugen and "make" your own. You also didn't say what language your trying to learn you may want to look into Unity for game making.

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Yup, learning to program is boring. Programming books are dry as hell, and everyone's first program is Hello World or some variant of that. The payoff to programming is when you actually manage to pull something off that is complex (for your level at least) and get it to work right. It's a lot like creating art: hard work until the very end, when you can be proud that your creation is finally done.

So you got bored. Just so I know, what book did you read (title and author please), and what language did you start out with? I recommended learning from a website since I figured sights like codecademy would likely be more focused on learning by doing rather than by reading, which might keep you interested longer.

Salvis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

I think it was Visual Basic Game Programming for Teens Third Edition Jonathan S. Harbour

Agreed with almost post here. I starting developing just for fun -and at the same time, learning- for Counter Strike. Yes, the old one. Basic 'plugins' after that, i want to go deeper and need knowledge about C/C++ to start coding modules or adding features to already builded module (using programs to hook game events)

In the end, the game limited my knowledge, so jumped to another king of proggraming, like anti wallhacks (currently working for CoD2) so, yes, you need a hobby. My own recommendation is Programming + Electronics. Fun as <<language please>>. Check projects with arduino or PIC, both can be programmed with C.

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

I'm not fond of visual basic. It is an easy language to learn, but it kind of does things in its own way that might make it harder to learn C-based languages later. If I were you I would start out with a memory managed language like Java or C#, or even some web based languages.

Just go to amazon and search for "learn C#" or "beginner C#" and you'll find something. Just make sure it's up to date (printed in the last few years).

If you want to tackle C++ head on though, this book seems to get some good reviews and is oriented toward game development, so it might keep your attention:
https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-C-Through-Game-Programming/dp/1305109910/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468893173&sr=8-2&keywords=game+programming